Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Blesbok I shot this weekend near the town of Carolina, in Mpumalanga province, South Africa.

timb99_2008_030374.jpg

I hesitate to call it hunting. It was more like a controlled cull.

These things are wild, in that they will run away when you drive up within less than 100 yards or so. But they’re dumb. They either can’t jump a standard barbed wire fence, or they don’t know they can, because they don’t leave the property once they’re on it. And the laws over here on hunting are different than the USA. If the landlord says you can shoot one of “HIS” animals…you can. And as long as they are on his land, they belong to him.

You drive up towards them with the pickup and they just stand there looking at you from 100 yards.

Made a bunch of boeriewors (kind of the South African version of bratwurst) and a few cuts of backstrap. Also, the landowner, who is a friend of mine, is going to make some biltong (the South African version of jerky.)

He let me use his rifle. It’s a Mauser action, barreled with this really heavy German-made octagonal barrel, chambered in 7x57 Mauser, with a full length stock which is popular over here. Nice shooting gun.

Reminds me of trips to western Kansas to hunt deer, or out to Colorado to hunt elk, then processing and making sausage & jerky.

I got another one, but this was the bigger of the two. About the size of a normal whitetail doe, but these things are FAT.

Great weekend.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having blesbok boeriewors right now. Yum!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wireguy,

Looks just like beef. For the boeriewors, we mixed the blesbok meat with some beef. You couldn't tell the difference, color-wise.

I haven't had any of the prime cuts yet, but I have been told its a nice flavor, and not very gamey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.