Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some advice, I am looking to replace my Glock 23 and have been looking at FNX, Steyr models. Not really into the M&P or XD but the Glock grip just does not work for me. Does any one have firsthand experience with these 2 or even another that is accurate, not as thick a grip as the 23 Gen3, and in the 500 to 550 range. Sig 226 is a bot thick also. I have a Witness 9MM and have also thought of a 40 cal witness. thanks, randy

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have the XD-40 V10. It is the ported barrel. Never have had any problems. The grip fits me much better than the Glock or any of the other black guns.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the Sig, PS 2022,,it seems to be a pretty fine gun. It comes with two grips, so you have a choose. It is a 40, and in the price range you ask for.

norman

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Sig 239 is a single stack version (smaller grip) of the 229. Also a 224 is a shorter mag version of the 229 which is double stacked. These are all steel and no plastic or poly.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I carry Sig but haven't settled on just one yet. I like my 229 in 40, but it isn't as accurate as my 9mm 226 or M25 or 220 for that matter. Think it's a caliber trait as that seems common on handgun forums. Still looking for "TheLoad" in 40. But like some say, if you can hit a paper plate.... You get the power of the 45 and higher capacity, so it's easy to see why the 40 is a good choice. Got my wife the 239 in 9mm, available in 40 of course (40 was too much for her). Good summer carry gun. I did notice that all my sig's shot low, so be prepared for that. But I would buy a sig now, 'cause if you don't, you will later. Bob

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'm an old fashioned 1911 guy all the way so I'd pick one of the Kimbers or STIs. I've used that platform so much over the years in the service, IPSC and carry that they are as familiar as breathing. I don't have anything in .40 but do have a long .40 (10mm)Kimber Stainless Target II.

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
I have a CZ 75 in 40 and a Para P16 40 which is 1911 type frame. The mags hold 15 rounds. The factory trigger on the CZ sucks, but that can be corrected.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I alternate between a Beretta Cougar and a S&W 4013. Both are all metal and extremely dependable. The Cougar fits my hand like a glove. The S&W is a little smaller.

JON

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I'm also a 1911 supporter. There are so many aftermarket accessories for them, including grip panels, that making one fit your hand is not much of a challenge. They are also easy to dissemble, clean and replace non-fitted parts in - sort of the small-block Chevrolet V8 of handguns.

I have two Kimbers, a Stainless Gold Match II in .45ACP and a Stainless Target II in .38 Super. Both are accurate, reliable guns and the Super is a lot of fun to shoot yet can pack a near-.357 Magnum punch if loaded to the upper end of the chart. I use them strictly for bullseye target shooting with lead semi-wadcutters but would not hesitate to depend upon one if the need arose. And for those who want to able to almost put a box of shells in the magazine, a few companies are offering the "2011," a double-stack magazine version.

Ed

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to all that responded. It was fun, I always enjoy talking guns and seeing what other people enjoy especially those that have the esperience of some of you. I went to my LGS today and fondled many of these recomendations. They had a pristine 229 40 cal and were in the mood to deal today so it came home with me. I like it a lot, it has been a long time since I had a Sig and it feels good to have this one. Now I am looking forward to getting out to shoot it. Thanks again for your advice. randy

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
You did good Randy. You won't regret it. There has been a big move toward M&Ps lately, but I also think the more stuff comes out, the more people realize how good the SIGs always were.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Boy you can't go wrong with a 229! One of these days I will own a Sig too. They just shoot really nicely for me. Last year I got the bug for a new pistol and bought an STI in 40S&W. It is ridiculously fun to shoot, but it wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I'm with Ken..Browning Hi-Power..so far not another factory 40 we've tried at my local indoor range/gun shop can shoot with it with most ammo and its reliability in 2nd to none

1 - 20 of 32 Posts