Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Robins are back in West Central IL.Seen five yesterday.

Folks, I was as sober as a Southern Baptist Preacher.

This ain't right.If they find a nightcrawler or angle worm as they say up North
in my yard he will no doubt be one tough sob.

Anyone else seen any in the midwest?

Bocephas

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
In my area of SE Pa. some of them never leave. They eat the blue seeds off of the eastern cedar trees. I seen some in Dec.in my back yard.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I live in west central Iowa and as quick as the wind comes out of the south, my yard is covered in robins. They are eating the crab apple "shrivilins" as I am typing this. I have seen them all winter in great numbers. We have a huge crop of russian olives and honeysuckle berries this year so I think they are eating those.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
They never made it this far south. We've had a very few but certainly not like usual. I have some bushes in the back side of my yard that has berries on them and they normally show up in hundreds getting drunk and running into everything but have not seen them this year. They must have stopped in North Georgia or Tennessee. Jackie B.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I forgot to mention that there are a large number of mourning doves that never left this year as well. I have the same theory on their staying as too.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"In my area of SE Pa. some of them never leave. They eat the blue seeds off of the eastern cedar trees. I seen some in Dec.in my back yard."

I believe you.

Some winters, a few stick around this part of southern Ontario.

I could not believe it a few years ago when I first saw some in January.

We have a 45 acre bush lot that our trap club is on. There are berries that freeze and stay on a type of thorn tree that they seem to eat. I always thought they were strictly carnivorous, eating bugs, worms etc.

I don't know what the trees are but the berries are a blue/purple and they stain very easily and perminantly, when they are fresh, or pass through the robin ;)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I also live in SE PA, about 45 minutes from Toolmaker. We have flocks of them in Winter. In summer they spread out, and it's unusual to see more than 10 on your lawn at any given time. In Winter they cluster and travel in big flocks. A small flock would be around 30-40 birds. They attack a bush and strip it clean of red berries. It is a sight to behold. Each waits its turn, then gobbles a dozen berries and leaves to make room for the next one. Each bird may take two turns, but the flock won't strip the bush the first time. They leave almost half. A couple of days or a week later, they are back to finish. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of bush, but the berries have to be red.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Had six robins in my heated bird bath this morning with nine more in the trees nearby. Most I have ever seen in early February.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im in the Columbus OhiO area . there has been five or six in the back yard

for a week or so hanging around the bird feeder the Robins won'eat the seed so

I went to the store and bought some berries and some raisins and put them

out on the ground so far they haven't touched them .

Melf

·
Registered
36 Posts
here in east central pa. i have been seeing robins for about 3 weeks now at first it was just 2 of them now its a whole flock never seen this before. the first robin i used to see was in march. this is strange maybe they were told about global warming.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I haven't seen any near Chicago yet and don't know what they would eat if they were foolish enough to fly back here! Still plenty of snow on the ground and more on the way. I live to see the first Robin of Spring Please send some my way

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The robins are here in South Georgia. There are hundreds of them in the pecan orchards and fields in the area. I've never seen them come here so late. They are normally here by November. I will have drunk birds running into my house this afternoon I bet. Jackie B.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.