Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rabbits are decimating our shrubs and small trees. Have been trying to catch them with a couple small wire live traps but not having much success. What would be the most effective bait to use? Would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Raw carrots always worked for Elmer Fudd.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Well you knew what was going happen.Sweet sixteen. The carrots do good but shred them they will smell more.

·
Registered
622 Posts
TC, Rabbits will enter cage traps without hesitation, with the right attractor.when they are set in the right location. Apple slices, as recommended here will work but they must be fresh (a little browning is okay) and in this cold weather they quickly freeze and have very little scent. A better attractor is fox urine sprayed on lettuce and placed in the back of your cage trap. I don't know what it is that rabbits find attractive with it, but it works. There are also a number of prepared baits available, one maker I can recommend very highly is Carroll Black of 5523 SR 514 in Glenmont,Ohio. His phone numberis 330-378-3201. I have used Carroll's products for over 25 years and will vouch for his quality. Give him a call, and good luck trapping. As an added benefit, you get to eat the rabbits, they don't come much fresher.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have 2 old rabbit traps that I used when a friend wanted rabbits to train his beagles. They are built like any live trap but are made out of sollid wood.

I understand that the rabbit will enter these easier because it's more like a warren.

I put some corn outside of the trap and a trail inside to some corn in the back and I was getting rabbits all of the time. Here in Ohio.

OB

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ohio Bob we made tunnel type box traps for rabitts back in the late 50's early 60's. I think we baited them with carrots or apples. Just a slider door at the front end that ran in a groove and connected to an up right in the center that suported a long stick that was tied to a notched trigger that went into a hole near the far end. Once in a while we would get a two toned p$$$y with a fluid drive and that would be the end of that trap. Sometimes we would make them with hardware cloth at the far end. Hell we were only about ten years old. Saved a lot on shotgun shells and put rabbits in the pot. Bill

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
TC:

Any chance of protecting the trunk of individual plants by wrapping them with chicken wire, hardware cloth, or some of the commercially available plastic tubes made for the purpose?

sissy

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think my problem is the lack of bait scent because of freezing. Wrapped tree trunks after seeing the damage but with the snow build up they are now chewing off the lower branches above the wrap.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't know if this would work, but most rabbits are attracted to salt. I would think a salt tablet from your local hardware would work?!?

Danny

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Lettuce usually works for me, I don't trap them, I just feed them and I was surprised even the Quail like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Lettuce usually works for me, I don't trap them, I just feed them and I was surprised even the Quail like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.