Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a recipe to cook a 6 rib prime rib using the rock salt method. If you have a favorite, thanks for sharing... gene

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
The out the Food Network...I recall seeing a show where a prime rib was cooked that way...Maybe Alton Brown or Tyler Florence.....

Curt

And yes...Beef...real food for real people...

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Jack,

That's a little to rare/raw for me. I remeber an old steer rassler who told be he like his steaks burnt....only from the rope burn from around the steer's neck.

Doug

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The recipe that MIA wrote truly works. I've used it several times. We go to the Maine seacoast several times a year (2 hr drive) and get his New Years Eve dinner. Can't beat buying them off the boat. If you have all the fixin's with you,(butter, something to melt it with, crackers, etc.) you can eat them right there on the pier. Mouth watering thinking about it. And there's 4 inches of snow on the ground outside :-(
Bruce

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I used this one twice. It is wonderful but dont try to second guess the cooking procedure ( it works)

STANDING RIB ROAST

Let roast sit for at least one hr to get to room temp

Cut slits in and put slivers of garlic clove in the slits

Rub Sea salt & pepper on then sprinkle Mrs Dash on (Mrs Dash is optional but it is good)

Cook at 375 for one hr, turn off oven

Let sit in oven for 3 hrs ( do not open oven door)

When ready to eat, start oven @ 375 and cook 30 minutes to 40 minutes

Very important not to open oven during the whole proccess!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cut slits different depths and insert peeled garlic ( Alot is better )
Smear whole prime rib with Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
Coat with kosher salt, as thick as will stick
Pre heat oven to 500, put roast in an open roaster with a rack cook at 500 for 4 min a pound
Turn oven to 275 - 300 depending on how quickly you want to eat, check with insta read therm and pull about 145, salt cap will break off in large chunks
Have never served without it being everyones new favorite

P.S. get roast close to room temp before cooking

Enjoy,

Chet

·
Registered
523 Posts
Not a rock salt recipe, but here goes. Take extra virgin olive oil garlic and rosemary put in a blender and chop. Rub the rib in the early morning and leave out until cooking time. Get the grill and rotisserie ready at about 150-200 degrees. Cook until done enough by the thermometer.

For got to add if your rib has the tail, slice it back about 2 -3 inches and rub the mixture inside and string it back together. I also add some pecan wood for a light smoke flavor and serve rare to med rare.

Eat until sick or out of meat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.