Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how complicated this problem is but I do know there is a wealth of information available on this board so here goes.

I just purchased a used 2005 Dodge Durango and every time I fill the tank the pump clicks off and as much as several seconds later, it spews gas back out and it runs down the side of the car.

IF I listen closely and catch it before it fills and I click off the pump and SLOWLY fill it to full, it usually won't do this.

I have never had this on any other vehicle but I suppose it may be more common than I am aware. I would guess that it probably has something to do with a vent situation.

I was hoping that it was an easy fix, or at least someone with first hand experience could tell me what I am dealing with BEFORE I end up going to the dealer for repair.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Sounds like a pinch, kinked or plugged vent tube!

There should be a vent tube from the top of the gas tank to the filler neck, just below the cap.

·
Registered
417 Posts
http://www.automotive.com/2005/49/dodge/durango/recalls/60172.html looks like you're not the only one.

And at least try this one time, see if filling up with a higher grade fuel makes the situation any better, and try at least several brands.

A local refinery chemist told me that if mine kicked off before full, to kindly pay the people for what I'd pumped and go down the street to another retailer that hopefully had another brand. He said during the changing seasons, they were rolling the dice as to what gas needed to be brewed at that time. Too heavy/too cold weather---hard starts were the rule. Too light/false Spring weather-----burns too hot, vaporizes too easy, and will cause a "kickback" if conditions are right.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Turn the fuel nozzel upside down the next time you fill the vehicle. Yeah, I thought it was crazy too---but it works!

·
Registered
88 Posts
You have a restricted fuel tank vent system. Possibly in the evap or charcoal canister. Your local dealer service department should be able to fix this for you without too much trouble.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My boat has the same problem. When I fill it with gas it will overflow right when it clicks off. I found that I can listen for a gurgling sound (don't know if gurgling is a word) and when I hear it, I slow down on the fill-up.

Now that you guys have diagnosed a problem with car fill-ups, I'll have to check my boat.

Thanks Guys,

·
Registered
569 Posts
Both of my Dodge trucks do the same thing. Save your money, there is no fix.(unless you want to re-design fuel tank)

Texas Ton- you must have talked with an un-employed chemist.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Racer------how you figure, it certainly has worked on my pickup and anything else I've owned for many years. If it pops off after a couple of tries and there's nothing else wrong, I go elsewhere.

And no, he isn't unemployed, and no, there's no union labor here either.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to send a hat's off to Birdtracker, I think he nailed this one.

He tipped me off via PM to a recall (ID# 60172) that just came out for the 2005 Durango's that covers this situation exactly, you can always count on your friends here at TS.com!

Thanks to all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.