Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a log splitter, which I know nothing about. I'll be splitting mostly oak in the 12 to 20 inch range. Any advice, recommendations, etc?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Tractor supply.....

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I have a 27 ton tractor supply model that's tough and always starts.

Bought mine at an estate sale with light use for $650.

I see them on sale often for around $800-$1000.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I bought an electric splitter from Tractor Supply last year.My use was to resplit pieces that were to big.It worked great for that. This year I cut down some dead trees on my property and with the exception of one section of a large 20" tree which I split in half first,it worked with out a hitch.It split thru knots and all.Worked for me as a great little spliter and cost less than $300.00. Seen them on sale for $199.00,of course that was after I had bought mine. Story of my life.Look in to them...Ray

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
I picked up a tip off a wood burning website on electric log splitters.

I keep one in the basement and split as I go, sometimes nothing else better to do in the winter anyway.

As stated in what I read it will do 90% of what you need done.

GS

·
Registered
511 Posts
With 25 years of wood burning experience my advise to buy natural gas for your furnace with the money you would have spent.

·
Registered
519 Posts
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YeanPDO-D6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Try to find a used one BUT make sure to test it before buying. Take our own wood if possible, like a piece of crotch Oak or stringy Hackberry. See if it will split an eight inch diameter by 24" long verticle and sideways. These are all good tests a strong splitter should pass. I built one in 1975, passes all the tests, and is still going strong.

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
My buddy has a 6 ton Tractor supply splitter and he has split many cords of wood with it

But the last time I was up there we had to split some wood for our mandatory fire that we stand around and drink beer

When we got done he said, "Yup this is why I now pay $140 for a cord of split oak/pecan/hickory delivered and stacked, it's a hell of a lot easier"

I do agree

·
Premium Member
12,305 Posts
Pay attention to the ton rating of the splitter and the HP of the engine.

If you divide the ton rating by the number of HP's - the lower that number the better. Also look at the quality of the engine. Hondas are great, B & S are fine, but some are much better than others (cast iron block, bearing type, etc.), watch out for 'no name' imports.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I also have a Troy Built with a Honda motor. Ten years old now, and it just keeps running. Will split horizontally or vertically. Generally will start on the first pull.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I bought a "Brave" from Central Tractor in 1993 for $999. It's a 20 ton, 6HP Briggs & Stratton and works great vertically or horizontally. Needed the carburetor rebuilt 5 years ago. I mainly split Oak, Maple & Hickory. No complaints about it. Larry Evans

1 - 16 of 16 Posts