Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Line Generator Switch, that's bran new. If anybody could use it, pay actual shipping, and it's yours. We don't have a motorhome any more. It's for a 30-amp,120-volt electrical systems.

Bob

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Snowjet,

I have been thinking of semi-permanently installing one of my back-up generators for the house (run heat, refrigerator, etc. in a power outage) - if you think it will work for that I'd love it.

THANKS,

David D
19031 (PA)

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
HSLDS it you heat your house with LP or Nat gas, you can get a conversion kit from US Carbueration (sp) and convert your generator to run on LP or nat gas, I have a 5500 watt B&S that I did it on and it was a life saver, and you don't have to worry about the LP going bad, they have two different kits, one you can only run on LP or Nat gas, the other is gasoline, LP or Nat, that is the one I have, it ran about $200 and it was very simple to install

We had a bad ice storm hit us last week, it sure was nice to have that little thing purring along

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Catpower,

I'ver already looked at those kits... interesting they are...

Right now I have three small gen-sets (1500 ~ 3000 watt units) and I have in-line plugs that I disconnect for each item (heater, frig, etc.), but one unit wired in to the feed for the heat and the frig with a gen-set left in place would make for fast and easy change over.

I am ASSUMING this meets electric company isolation requirements...

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
It's still in the wrong section. This is the Shooting Section. The item at minimum belongs in the Off Topic section. It's simple rules that must be impossible for some to grasp.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My generator is wired directly into my homes electric panel and provides 240Volt power the same as our utility provides. I think that if you are just going to switch 110Volt you are going to have to run some sub panels. It could be a nightmare to set up and to switch with to say nothing about being dicey with the electrical code.

ctreay

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
The sub panel is easy. Just set the single leg to carry the 120V to the two or three circuits that are critical.

The real issue is to keep local power company happy with the 'disconnect' - they really hate it if there is a chance to 'back power' up the line - potentially hurting or killing someone working on the wires.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Moderators,

Thanks for looking out for us.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've got a 8800 watt gen set here that I ran the entire house with during Hurricane Sandy. Those little things will do more than you think....

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Yes Mike they are handy, we have a 27.5 KW that I can hook up to one of our tractors, but it would drive me nuts to have to listen to a 100 hp engine sucking $3.50 diesel when 5500 would do the job

We ran the 5500 for 4 days last week and the gauge on the 500 gallon tank that serves the shop it was in barely moved

Lifesavers, it is so nice to have heat and all the amenities that we take for granted work when everybody else is in the cold

·
Registered
441 Posts
I used an 8000 welder in ice storm in 2000 for 14 days.
Plugged in breaker box and pulled the main switch to avoid
back feed. Wouldn't run central heat or elec stove but everything
else and no extension cords all over.
Anyone who objects to this thread should experience 14 days of dark,
cold and quiet except for trees breaking. If U haven't experienced,
just have a little patience with those of us who have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts