Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited a 9 shot .22 cal revolver marked J.C. Higgins, Model 88. Anybody know who made this gun? I think is was purchased in the late 1950's from Sears & Roebuck. Thanks, John

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Calvin, maybe just a bit older.

But it doesn't make any difference to me as long as I'm still on the green side of the grass.

Well, even if it does make a difference...........not much I can do about it.........A good day is waking up each and every morning sucking air.....lol

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I couldn't agree more...and I'm not far behind ya,..heres wishin' ya tons more shooting years there buddy and maybe we'll be lucky enough to squad up and shoot together sometime!!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Calvin and Haulfan, you're making me feel really old now. I have a J.C. Higgins 22 gun belt and holster I used to carry a Ruger single six in (half loading gate)when I was a kid. Think I ordered it out of a catalog.Longer ago than I like to think about,

Haux, I'm with you on the right side of the grass and sucking air. LOL--Steve

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Calvin, I'd like that. Just maybe someday that will happen. I'm in Iowa, where are you located at?

AAtrap, you carried a Ruger Single Six when you were a kid?

That means you are younger than me, as they weren't even made when I was a kid.......Hell, they barely had metallic cartridges........ ;-) lol lol

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a J.C. Higgins "Ranger" in 22cal. It is a copy of a Hi-Standard Double Nine with a chrome plated trigger & back strap.

Mark54 in Lititz

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hauxfan, you may be older than me, but I doubt that you're quite that old.And don't tell me you started shooting trap with a bow and arrow. lol

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Nope, AAtrap, I didn't start shooting trap with a bow and an arrow.

They hadn't been invented yet........lol............I first started slinging rocks at those dastardly clays. Progressed up to a sling shot, and then the bow and arrow. ;-)

North Texas, Calvin.....Hmmmm...........I lived in Lubbock for a year back in about 61 or 62........Not to far from Texas Tech. Nice town......well, it was back then, I don't know how it is now.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had one of the JC Higgins .22's in the 50's. Carried it in a holster while driving farm tractors. Traded it on a Ruger single six which I still have. Been looking for one the last few years. If anyone has one for sale I'd be interested. Leave off the x's in my email address.

Richard Slonkosky

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I bought a J. C. Higgins about a 100 years ago. The nine shot variety. I bought it used and it would never lock properly and when my hand was near the cylinder it would shave off a piece of lead or the gaps were xtra large and would burn me good.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Farmall: You might roam gun shows & look for a High Standard Sentinel revolver. It might be very similiar to the J.C. Higgins you remember. The Sentinels are prevalent, about $100-150, and are a very nice little 9-shot revolver. Phil E

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's not a pistol, but I still have my first "real" gun, a J.C. Higgins single shot .22 rifle I got for my 12th birthday in 1954. My folks paid $12.95 for it, which was about 4 1/4 hours of work for my Dad back then. The following year they gave me a Higgins bolt action .410 which cost a few dollars more. My safe contains a number of pretty expensive guns, and those two modest little arms repose there with honor and associated good memories.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.