Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to start ordering most, if not all, my shotshell components online in larger quantities. I haven't ever ordered them from anyone before and would like to know who you guys trust and enjoy ordering from.

So as to not upset anyone by announcing it here on the thread, please feel free to PM me your thoughts. If it's ok from the forum's perspective, you could post it here, I guess. I do understand the whole advertising issues but I also understand a friend helping out another friend. Either way, I'm grateful to anyone who has any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Alex,

Palos shooter has it right, at least on shot. It is too heavy to reasonably pay shipping on. Exception might be reclaimed from Lead Miner or JR Shot, both of which have good product and ship in flat rate containers. Great if you like reclaimed product.

Powder, primers both carry hazmat. So buying up to as much as you can for 1 hazmat spreads that cost out, along with the freight charge if any. Usually there is one. It has been a function of seeing who has powder, but it appears to be getting much better.

If you can find a distributor close to you for new shot at a reasonable price, go for it locally where you can pick it up. That has been my experience. And if you are lucky enough to attend some of the major shoots, vendors generally have good prices and you can cash and carry...everyone wins.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The key to ordering online is, and always will be, shipping costs. Also, there generally is a sliding scale between price and shipping costs. Places with lower prices likely will have higher shipping costs, and vice versa. Because Downrange wads are not available locally, I order them from Grafs. Other popular places include Gamaliel and Recobs. Shot is the hard thing. Recently, Cabelas had a 10% off sale with free shipping and it didn't exclude shot. I ordered 10 bags. As noted above, powder and primers are the sticky wicket, has mat shipping fees are extra. I make a pilgrimage to Shed's in PA whenever run low on powder and primers because I'm too cheap to pay has mat plus shipping. But, I enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The key to ordering online is, and always will be, shipping costs. Also, there generally is a sliding scale between price and shipping costs. Places with lower prices likely will have higher shipping costs, and vice versa. Because Downrange wads are not available locally, I order them from Grafs. Other popular places include Gamaliel and Recobs. Shot is the hard thing. Recently, Cabelas had a 10% off sale with free shipping and it didn't exclude shot. I ordered 10 bags. As noted above, powder and primers are the sticky wicket, has mat shipping fees are extra. I make a pilgrimage to Shed's in PA whenever run low on powder and primers because I'm too cheap to pay has mat plus shipping. But, I enjoy the drive.
Neb, is that supposed to be Shyda's or Shed's? If it is Shed's, where are they in PA?

I go to Shyda's and Richland's, which is right down the road from Shyda's. Last time I went, Richland's price on shot and primers were cheaper than Shyda's. I'm in MoCo.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh shoot, sorry. Didn't even think to mention my location. I'm in Pocatello, Idaho. 83201

Thanks for the tips thus far!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Neb, is that supposed to be Shyda's or Shed's? If it is Shed's, where are they in PA?

I go to Shyda's and Richland's, which is right down the road from Shyda's. Last time I went, Richland's price on shot and primers were cheaper than Shyda's. I'm in MoCo.
Darned auto correct!!!

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
One can buy enough online to offset Haz Mat. Up to 48 lb of powder can be shipped on one Haz Mat ticket (six 8 lb kegs), up to 20K primers.

Shot IS the bugaboo, find it as close as you can, go in with several folks, make sure one of them has a big truck, go pick up a ton.

Sometimes, Ballistic Products (BPI) has free or reduced shipping when wads are on sale. Some of their Gualandi wads are as good as any made here. They have the best 28 ga wad for Riefenhauser hulls out there.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Do you shoot at a club, or can you become acquainted with the facility manager where you shoot? You may be able to place an order for shot to be delivered with targets - depends on whether the distributor sells shot, there is a pro shop that sells components, etc.

Where I live there is no shot to be bought within 4-5 hours travel.

Or as Coach suggests, get together with others for a LARGE order; you may find the shipping and hazmat reasonable, or even waived. Several guys buying a years worth of supplies is some serious coin and can have a very positive affect on shipping costs.

K

·
Registered
240 Posts
I ordered a good amount of my supplies from Gamaliel Shooters Supply, one of the benefits of their website is that they have values given to their HazMat products and it will show you how much you can buy for 1 fee. They are pretty fairly priced as well, and have just about anything you could want.

Jesse

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered a good amount of my supplies from Gamaliel Shooters Supply, one of the benefits of their website is that they have values given to their HazMat products and it will show you how much you can buy for 1 fee. They are pretty fairly priced as well, and have just about anything you could want.

Jesse
I like that about their site too. If you don't want to spend the amount to fill up the box (therefore diluting the hazmat fee), see if some friends want to go in on an order and split the hazmat fee.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Shooting Coach, why take a "big truck" to bring back a ton? My old Suburban carried 3700 pounds of shot and ammo without a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
One can buy enough online to offset Haz Mat. Up to 48 lb of powder can be shipped on one Haz Mat ticket (six 8 lb kegs), up to 20K primers.

Shot IS the bugaboo, find it as close as you can, go in with several folks, make sure one of them has a big truck, go pick up a ton.

Sometimes, Ballistic Products (BPI) has free or reduced shipping when wads are on sale. Some of their Gualandi wads are as good as any made here. They have the best 28 ga wad for Riefenhauser hulls out there.
Be careful when ordering the European wads, they are all made for straight walled hulls, such a Federal, Rio and Fiocchi, they will not be good for Rem or Win hulls. But I agree on their quality, and they are cool looking wads to boot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In the west, Connie's Components has pretty good online prices. They are in Western Washington and if you want to pick up components you can, but unless you live in Portland or Northern Idaho you have to pay 8% sales tax.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Nebs is right. Make sure the wads you order are suitable for hulls you are going to load. Many of the Gualandi wads are suitable for tapered hulls, some are not. Do the research.

Ballistic Products has a great loading manual that lists their wads exclusively. Many loads are listed for STS and AA-HS hulls.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Go out to the Pocatello Gun Club, at the airport and talk to some members there. They are a great bunch of people and they can guide you to good prices.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I feel like a horder when I go into a store and want to purchase mass quantities of reloading components.
Rifle shooting got the best of my ocd.

In the past when rifle powder was getting hard to get I'd wait til I would find my powder online and see if the hazmat cost was worth paying.
In my case I was ordering 4-8lb kegs at a time, paying the 25 for hazmat was ok for me. Since I couldn't find the powder locally.

Ordering lead shot may be a different story.

Opinions may vary..

·
Registered
47 Posts
For powder and primers I usually go with powder valley inc. For shot I have been getting it from Cabela's, they almost always have some sort of free or reduced shipping deal going on and their prices on shot are cheaper than anywhere I can find around here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts