Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if you're buying good juicy oranges? Was in the grocery store today and wanted some oranges, they had bags there 6 to a bag. They looked nice so I bought two bags, ate one when I got home and the damn things are tasteless and woody, think I might just throw the whole bunch of 'em out#$%&. I really like fresh fruit but I gave up on peaches years ago, followed by nectarines, followed by strawberries. Seems like they only things they haven't figured out how to screw up (yet) is raspberries and pineapple! Anyway, I'm willing to give oranges another chance if somebody could advise me on how to pick out the good ones.

John

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Florida honey bells are in season this month. Some places have free shipping. Best oranges on the planet.

Doug

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Honeybells are the BEST oranges on Gods earth! However their season runs about mid January thru mid February. The bad news is unless you live in the Indian River area the only way to get them is mail order and they are expensive. I plan on stopping to pick some up on my way to Silver Dollar next month. growers who ship are Allen Groves, Page Groves and others that you can google. How do you know they are good? taste them first.

blade819

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
I go out in the back yard and pick some Arizona Sweets and Navels, tangelo's are in my neighbors yard and he don't like them, they are so good ... Make great juice also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Come and look me up, I'll let you sample anything we sell,(except the beer and wine)lol. Stay away from those big ones ( oranges) they usually are not the best. If you have clementines available give them a try,they are small but very sweet and well worth the money. Glenn Allison

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Stay away from those big ones.......", I think you've got a point there. In retrospect; These were in fact pretty big as oranges go, usually in the past when I've bought smaller ones they were better.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Honey Bells and Page oranges (a honey bell hybrid..) are great. We just brought some back from FL. THe Orange Shop in Citra FL ships them but it might be a bit pricey.

Bob

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
What is the name of those red oranges they sell in Florida? They look almost like blood in the center. Those are really good, and low in acid.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
HoneyBells are the BEST oranges ever! Trust me. Unfortunately they are only available now thru Feb and are expensive.

blade819

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to the store again today and bought a few oranges out of the bin with the small ones, ate one when I got home and they were GOOD, nice and juicy and sweet! Thanks for the tip GROCERY GUY.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I bought 2 Honey Bells from our grocery here in North Georgia today for a dollar a piece. They came from around Minneola FL and although a little tasty, not Cushmans Honey Bells at all. Best ones come from groves around the Indian River.

blade819

1 - 20 of 27 Posts