Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in the market for a new "trap dedicated" gun. I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than 2k. Currently i have a sporting model silver pigeon. The gun shoots fine in skeet and sporting clays but i find its just too flat for trap. I am looking for something that i can stay under and follow the clay. Hope this makes sense. New or used doest matter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can certainly get a BT-99 for under $2k if you want to go single barrel. Probably have to go lightly used to get a browning or beretta double barrel trap gun. I picked up a used Citori trap with adj comb for $1400

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
sdnative13, All you need to do is install a Adj. Comb.!!! Get a 4 way adj. Comb. All you need to do is add space between the mid bead and the end bead to get your current gun to shoot a Higher Point of Impact, which is what you want!!! The Adj. comb will allow your eye to be raised enough!!! and still be in solid contact with the stock so your eye will not move during the swing of the gun. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

If your current gun does not have a mid-bead, have a local gunsmith install one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've priced out a new bt99 for $1500 but I've heard mixed reviews about new vs old. The biggest challenge I'm finding are some wanting more than new for a used one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Simple solution if they want more for a used gun than for a new one if same make and model don't by the used buy the new if it's within your price range. Sometimes you can get a deal where the new one is cheaper than used ( a special deal or promotion). If you don't like it you can always sell it hopefully for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
BT-100 early (gloss model) with adjustable comb....way ahead of it's time. Drop out fully adjustable trigger. A most serious trap gun. Shoot it for years.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
So i am in the market for a new "trap dedicated" gun. I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than 2k. Currently i have a sporting model silver pigeon. The gun shoots fine in skeet and sporting clays but i find its just too flat for trap. I am looking for something that i can stay under and follow the clay. Hope this makes sense. New or used doest matter.
I would like at the Citori line in that price range but whatever you buy, make sure it has a good adjustable comb.

I would also recommend that you continue your pursuit for a dedicated trapgun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Besides an adj comb i have also heard that changing the pitct of your butt pad can also cause the gun to shoot higher. Thiughts???

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
The pitch determines how the butt fits against your chest. It should make contact all at the same time, as you pull the gun back to your mount. Wrong pitch can create a poor mount, and recoil issues, but is not a solution for raising your POI.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I shoot the FN SC1 and it comes with an adjustable comb...the gun is an over under and it swings beautifully, shoots soft and functions perfect. That can be had for under what you want to spend.

My friend just got a Remington 1100 competition...and he loves it....NO Recoil at all...I didn't believe it till I shot it. I was speechless. The 1100 is bullet proof and repairs are easily done yourself. Adjustable comb...Adjustable butplate and recoil device all standard as well as 5 extended choke tubes.

Just a couple of ideas...good luck in your new gun whatever you choose...please keep us informed!

Reap

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pitch determines how the butt fits against your chest. It should make contact all at the same time, as you pull the gun back to your mount. Wrong pitch can create a poor mount, and recoil issues, but is not a solution for raising your POI.
I don't know about that. I cut the pad on my 870 so that the bottom is 1/2 inch and the top is 1 3/4 inch (not exact numbers) and it went from shooting flat to not shooting 6-8 inches high. So by just changing the angle/pitch it changed the poi higher

·
Registered
772 Posts
If a simple change in butt pad thickness (pitch) could change point of impact, why would anyone go to the expense of adjustable cheek pieces and/or adjustable ribs? If the butt is slipping against your chest, you will have a variable poi, but it is not the way to achieve your desired poi. -Ed

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
If change of pitch changes point of impact, you do not have good contact between the butt and your shoulder. The gun is not supposed to "rotate" on your shoulder, it is supposed to recoil straight back. Get a step rib barrel and adjustable comb for your Beretta.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd raise the comb to achieve a higher POI. This is what I just did on my used TM1 Perazzi I just recently bought. It now crushes birds from the 27.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts