Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a local Clup that shoots Team league two weeks a Month and the other two are practice that isn't very busy.

I was thinking about starting a 6 week Doubles league consisting of 25 Pair per week for a total of 300 targets drop one low score so the total would be on 250.

I am willing to make trophies for say four places Lewis Class divided.

Does any one think this style of league would go over?

If Not what could we do to increase.

I think the Practice price at this club is a bit High and I am going to suggest lowering it a bit for next year but any other idea's?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Something sounds odd here, no criticism intended. Are these leagues shot on week nights, or daytime on weekends? If not enough interest to shoot every week why would another league succeed?

League shooting in my area is competitive, and we try to have leagues divided into ability levels. winning teams are within their own division and have to work for it. If a team wins they move up to the next division.

People have spent a lot of time developing a system that makes team competition exciting, and most of the time winners are not decided till the last night, it's so close.

If I were you I would pass out a questionnaire to figure out the next move.

HM

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They shoot Wednesday Night's

I am hoping that something new will peek up some intrest, the league that they shoot currently normally has 10-12 teams decided by the last week they do three spots divided Lewis Class and the fourth class is luck of the draw so any non winning team still has a chance.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Do it! Anything you do to make trapshooting more enjoyable is a good thing. Don't be surprised if the first attempt is not well attended. It'll take a couple of shots at it before it works good. I applaud your efforts.

You know that the ATA has a league doubles program too.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We only have about ten people that shoot in the team league that are ATA Shooters but that is something I thought about.

I personaly thought if we can get some intrest we may gain people just for the fact it looks fun and it moves fast not much time needed to shoot your targets.

And if it doesn't work we may start a ATA Doubles league and shoot it here at the house for those interested on a night that doesn't compete with a local club.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I started to run doubles on wed nights shooting one round at our club and it was my experience no one wanted to bother for one round I switched it to unlimited doubles practice and left a trap opened and it stayed very busy maybe go to 50 pair. Just my opinion. Thanks Ken Mills

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I believe you need to awaken the manly competitive desire in you shooters. 12 teams is enough for 2 ability levels. You need to shoot head to head, man against man.

When you post the points on the board you can show a running total each week.

I'm 74 years old, and if I couldn't shoot competitively at least once a week I would find another place(I'm not saying I'm any good). Some guys around here shoot at 3 different places every week. So far we shoot 3 leagues a year, all year round.

Just an opinion, but If you had more shooters you could probably float a 2 man team doubles league to shoot every week too.

The definition of league shooting varies depending on what part of the country you are in, so maybe my ideas don't fit. But think about it, anyway.

HM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts