Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my new shop close to production. I need to install a pattern board, what kind of board would you suggest and why? I like the grease board, any other ideas? Thanks Larry

·
Registered
923 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to do. Grease is quicker but it doesn't allow you to study and compare patterns. I prefer paper. IMHO Ron

·
Banned
308 Posts
We have a frame of 2x4 that will handle a grease board. You can unhook the grease board (metal plate)and then put up pattern paper material. We use 4 foot clear plastic rolls.

The grease board is by far the fastest and cheapest unless you are counting the dots.

2 spikes that line up on the frame with the holes on the grease board makes it removable.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Grease board. You can count pellets. Take a picture, blow it up and mark it out.

Really, who bothers with counting anyway? Confidence is verified during practice with good score/breaks. #1) is the pattern centered at 13-14 yards? #2) is the pattern still centered at 28, and 42 yards? #3 Verify the height of your POI.

Sorry Neil, but that's reality.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with Setterman. I shoot at a grease board, look at where the center of the pattern is, look for holes and good pellet distribution. Don't see what use counting pellet holes has if you have a good even pattern with no big holes.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My favorite is the one at Stockdale Gun Club in Ackley, IA. Substantial steel plate, pail of grease and a large paint brush. I wish I had a photo to insert.

Bob

·
Banned
308 Posts
I think the trowel is better than the paint brush. You need the trowel to remove the grease on occasion. Paint brush would work between shots.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I like using this product...

http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?modelnumber=S-14244&FromOrderHistory=Y

It's a white 40" x 48" cardboard. I take a picture, upload it to

http://www.shotgun-insight.com/intro.html

and it counts all the pellets, anylizes the pattern, tells me how big the circle is that contains 75% of the shots.

It really goes pretty quickly after you've worked with it a couple times

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Paper and cardboard for load development is the answer. Impact point and sighting in shotguns grease board is the answer.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
What are you patterning for? If POI and your tough enough to shoot at steel plate at 13 yds then that's the quick method.

I am old fashion I guess and everything I do is using wood frames. Owning a construction means I always have it available. Mine are generally 42"×42".

But you shouldn't listen to me because I still count every pellet by hand and believe there are truly differences between loads running down the same pipe and consistency can be acquired. Furthermore I am not seeking help for this belief!

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
pheasantmaster, I don't disagree with you when your searching for the best load. But in reality, few take the time to do that.

I've also had some loads that looked awesome on the splatter board, then proved disappointing in practice/events.

Could have been operator error too!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Setterman, I don't think so. I've on occasion had the same results. Also have encountered the same with bird guns in that a given load seemed to not dispatch the bird adequately.

Your also correct in that most won't go or put themselves through what I will. Does it make a difference/matter? Does to me.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
If you aren't counting the pellets and holes, you are wasting your time. Shooting one or two patterns and counting holes is also a waste of time. I wouldn't bother unless I shot ten. I count the pellets and the holes. Shooting a pattern or two looking for holes in the pattern is also a waste of time because they vary so much from one pattern to the next. The idea is to get an average. Singular patterns don't tell much at all. Many people don't even know how high their gun actually shoots. I see people all the time shooting at the back of a target box out by the trap. They don't even check the distance. They learn nothing.

I shoot paper and keep it for reference.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, should have been more detailed. Mainly looking for POI for gun fit. When I develops loads I shoot paper. Just looking for the fastest and easiest way for that. Larry

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think yor best bet is still going to be a grease plate over the long term. Use a paint roller w/a long handle, otherwise that goop will get on you. Paint rollers are also very fast to clean a grease plate with, but they do throw some spatter and the long handle keeps you cleaner.

·
Vendor
2,108 Posts
Larry,

Based on recommendation from Rucker, you refinished a Browning Citori for my next door neighbor a couple of years ago, he is so happy with the way it turned out.

Based in checking for POI and gun fit (left, right, center of pattern), I would use a steel paint and a paint roller. I think this would be the least maintenance. I have heard that a mixture of lithium grease and some motor oil works well, but I do not have first hand experience with mixing the ingredients.

Don

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Larry, I love grease plates. They are extremely useful when checking barrel regulation and whether all the removable chokes shoot to the same place. However, they are not the best for shooting for POI. That is best done on paper clipped to a metal pattern board. The center of the board should be open or have that thin metal mesh over it. If you shot on paper against a solid steel plate you will blow big holes in the paper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts