Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many people shoot singles with an over and under? I got to demo a 32in o/u a few days ago and it felt much better on the 16 yd line than my current gun. This is my second year shooting ATA and averages have increased slightly this year over last year. The only thing that's odd is my singles average is slightly lower than my handicap as it was last year. I currently shoot a 34in Ljutic which I love shooting from my handicap, but I seem to struggle with it on the 16 yard line. The demo gun with the shorter barrels felt like it swung so much better for me up front. Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It's not uncommon. Leo Harrison did it. It doesn't hurt to try, worst thing that can happen is you won't like it and go back to the Ljutic for singles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking, the shooting year is basically over so I'll have plenty of time to try it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ron Sutton uses a 32" o/u for everything, he broke 200 in the clay target championship and finished with a 396 in the HAA at the just completed Grand,he writes for Trap and Field magazine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A friend of mine shoots a 32" o/u for everything.
He's had several 100s in doubles, a couple of 200s in singles and was on the 27 yd line for a time
before age caught up with him,
I wish I had the good sense to stay with one gun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine shoots a 32" o/u for everything.
He's had several 100s in doubles, a couple of 200s in singles and was on the 27 yd line for a time
before age caught up with him,
I wish I had the good sense to stay with one gun.
Haha... I understand that. I thought I had decided to not switch guns anymore when I purchased my new Ljutic last year, I guess the majority of us trapshooters are a little stubborn. I'm wanting to start shooting doubles too so that's another reason I'm leaning toward an o/u for an everywhere gun.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I don't shoot anything other than an O/U on a trap field. Not that I'm hardheaded about that – it just happens to be the configuration of both my dedicated trap gun and the more versatile gun I use for a backup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't shoot anything other than an O/U on a trap field. Not that I'm hardheaded about that – it just happens to be the configuration of both my dedicated trap gun and the more versatile gun I use for a backup.
Do you do good with it shooting at longer yardages? That's one of my concerns. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Try it you will probably like it. I use to shoot a 28in o/u for every thing then a single barrel for singles and caps then a 30in xt then back to my tmx then to a 30in k32 for doubles and I'll shoot it for singles when I get it back with a release. I think the o/u swing nice for singles. Good luck Zack H

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try it you will probably like it. I use to shoot a 28in o/u for every thing then a single barrel for singles and caps then a 30in xt then back to my tmx then to a 30in k32 for doubles and I'll shoot it for singles when I get it back with a release. I think the o/u swing nice for singles. Good luck Zack H
Thanks... Yes when I got to demo the o/u the other day the swing seemed so much better. I definite believe I'm going to go that route.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Leo shot a Beretta DT10 combo with 32 inch barrels. He used his O/U for both singles and doubles, then shot his single barrel for handicap, adjusting the comb with 2 spacers.
Did Leo shoot top barrel for singles?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am relatively new to this sport and have been using o/u for everything. That is going to change. The biggest issue I have with the o/u is the wind. There is twice the area on the barrels for the wind to catch.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
There are lots of competitive shooters using O/U's for singles and handicap. I think there is something to be said for shooting the same gun for all events. New trap shooters can buy one O/U shotgun and shoot all of the events. Most combo gun owners use the single barrel for singles and handicap and the O/U is only for doubles. Try what you own and see for yourself. There are no absolutes in what gun you choose or what barrel configuration or choke to use. Back in the day, many top shooting legends used pump shotguns for everything.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Did Leo shoot top barrel for singles?
Yes

Do many people shoot singles with an over and under? I got to demo a 32in o/u a few days ago and it felt much better on the 16 yd line than my current gun. This is my second year shooting ATA and averages have increased slightly this year over last year. The only thing that's odd is my singles average is slightly lower than my handicap as it was last year. I currently shoot a 34in Ljutic which I love shooting from my handicap, but I seem to struggle with it on the 16 yard line. The demo gun with the shorter barrels felt like it swung so much better for me up front. Any thoughts or advice?
Not that Iam anybody but I completed my Grand Slam using an O/U. Predominantly used one for my 45yrs in the ATA until 5 yrs ago when I went to a DT combo. Still go back n forth on singles.

Kiner shoots an O/U for singles to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts