Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to jsraney and Rick Barker for your replies. As soon as I hit post I said to myself why didn't research a little further down on the page. I have about had it with Mec. been using them since the mid 80's. I have to start loading for three now. A son in law who works a ton of hours every week, and my grandson. Just replaced my old 650 with a new one, and not impressed. Looked at the videos for the Grand and said wow! Yea I know why didn't I take the money and buy a Grand. I'm 70 yrs. old and at this point money to me is only a tool to buy some happiness. I only have the one grandson,m and love to spoil him to his mothers chagrin, but he's the only one I have., The wife and I are looking at Harley trikes, maybe looking to trade my ultra limited. I know I'm rambling, but my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers at 53, and passed at 61 in 1988. It's a good thing him and my mother traveled and led a good life before that. She passed last June at 100 yrs. old. THANKS for letting me talk about them all.

·
Registered
32,296 Posts
The Grand will give you more shells in less time allowing you to spend more time shooting. Will also be something you can pass on to your kids. The warranty by RCBS applies to the machine. Many second owners are allowed free replacement parts.

Reactions: LG66

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tony,
It's been asked before for sure but more information on a subject is not a bad thing. I have RCBS Grand #1 and by that I mean the VERY FIRST Grand sold on the retail market. I got it after years of loading on virtually every other machine out there at one time or another. For my money it is fabulous! Some early glitches were readily and quickly addressed by RCBS, none of which stopped the loading process in the interim. As I have stated before, ALL loaders have two things in common. Assuming you have done your job, when that finished shell comes off the last station it goes bang and it breaks the target. It all comes down for me to the ease of getting that shell and all it's brothers through the loading cycle and in this area the Grand shines supreme. The cycling process is silky smooth. I have had 2 Grands for a long while now. The original has a 20 gauge companion bolted on the table next to it and BOTH are just a pleasure to use. Many others out there claim their personal choice of MEC, PW, Spolar is the only way to go so it comes down to personal opinion I guess. I chose the Grand and am very happy with that choice.

Good Luck in your choice!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Whatever you do, I would say buy new vs used if possible.

IMO, buying used your rolling the dice and often buying a press that has problems in order to save a couple hundred dollars. That said, I realize RCBS has a great warranty but I "prefer" to have a known "good" starting point.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You're comparing a Grand to a 650 ? Why not to a 9000 ? I went from a couple of 650s in different gauges to a 9000H for my 12ga. Thought I died and went to heaven. I know many guys like the Grand and there's nothing wrong with that, but a 9000 is also a great machine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks to jsraney and Rick Barker for your replies. As soon as I hit post I said to myself why didn't research a little further down on the page. I have about had it with Mec. been using them since the mid 80's. I have to start loading for three now. A son in law who works a ton of hours every week, and my grandson. Just replaced my old 650 with a new one, and not impressed. Looked at the videos for the Grand and said wow! Yea I know why didn't I take the money and buy a Grand. I'm 70 yrs. old and at this point money to me is only a tool to buy some happiness. I only have the one grandson,m and love to spoil him to his mothers chagrin, but he's the only one I have., The wife and I are looking at Harley trikes, maybe looking to trade my ultra limited. I know I'm rambling, but my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers at 53, and passed at 61 in 1988. It's a good thing him and my mother traveled and led a good life before that. She passed last June at 100 yrs. old. THANKS for letting me talk about them all.
Ramble all you like, you have a captive audience, and most of us are older and we can take time to read what you have to say.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
loads well and with little noise, looks great, rcbs will send parts out quickly and with no cost, wears out parts quickly so keep the phone no.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if you are 70 now and starting to reload higher volumes in the future - you may develop shoulder problems
just from jacking the handle of a manual reloader. definitely consider getting a loader that has or can be adapted
to use either hydraulic or electric cycling. You may avoid alot of pain in the future. Been there - done that as they say.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I liked the RCBS Grand. I loaded several thousands shells on mine and apart from having to fix the prior guy's mistakes and some normal wear and tear, it worked well for me. The handle pressure is very smooth and tolerable, even for my old shoulder. I recently sold my press. I've decided to just buy 12 gauge shells now since I simply cannot load them for cheaper than I can buy them. People talk about all the plastic on it, but it wasn't that bad. Once I replaced the more used parts, it worked very well.

Reactions: dws

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
The Grand will give you more shells in less time allowing you to spend more time shooting. Will also be something you can pass on to your kids. The warranty by RCBS applies to the machine. Many second owners are allowed free replacement parts.
I'm a second owner and I call for a part. Usually in next day mail. Never been charged. Hardest anything to wear out except plastic part on primer feed. I did drop my sixer ring and it rolled down the drain in my building. Called for another one. Told then it was my fault and wanted to pay for it. It come in 2 days and no charge. Amazing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts