Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a precision gold trigger for my MX8 and I use dbl. release. I'd like to know your opinions on Precision Gold Triggers. Tell me what you thought when you first used them and what you think about them after using them and for how long you've been using them.

I'd also like to know what the Perazzi type leaf spring longevity is like and about how many targets you're putting through your gun per lifetime cycle of the springs. How has the service and support been from the company.

Thank You in anticipation of your reply's,

PD

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great trigger, great people to deal with, very helpful. Sent mine back twice, once to speed up, and once because I hadn't ever cleaned it and it got slow. No charge either time. As for leaf springs I have had them break in 400 rds and have had them last over 12,000 rds. Best trigger I have ever owned and their customer service could not be any better.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Like all things metal, the springs will weaken, or better yet, just break, I would imagine I get 8,000 or more from a Precision before they weaken or break,
The trigger is as good and as consistent as any u will find, service is really good, like anything U will have to mail it in to get them repaired, and depending on where u live, it will take 5 to 7 days to get it back Jim

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, looking forward to hearing more from other shooters about the Precision Gold triggers.

PD

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Remember, only they can work on your trigger, or the warranty is void. If you do eventually send it to them, they will charge you for the parts to make it back to original parts, and configuration, if they do actually decide to work on it.

Precision Gold Triggers: Used Buyers Beware

·
Ljutic Nut
2,881 Posts
I Have a double release for my Perazzi got it about 9 years ago. I really like it. I have two other double releases for the same gun and both are nice but the Precision Gold trigger is better by far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PGT's are great triggers. I've been shooting one for about three years on two different guns. Jim Coons fitted it to first one gun and then to a second gun when I bought it. I've been lucky enough to meet Jim and shoot on his squad a few times. I've been to his shop twice when I've been in CO and he has a first class operation for manufacturing his triggers. You can't go wrong buying one of his triggers.

·
Super Moderator
3,061 Posts
Remember, only they can work on your trigger, or the warranty is void. If you do eventually send it to them, they will charge you for the parts to make it back to original parts, and configuration, if they do actually decide to work on it.

Precision Gold Triggers: Used Buyers Beware
This is a BS post flyn. I have had nothing but great experiences working with Precision Gold Triggers, purchased new or used, as have many of my friends who shoot them.

The last used one I bought developed a problem, I next day'ed it to Jim on Monday and received it back on Wednesday. That's damn quick service, I guess he decided to work on it, as he always does. And I was happy to pay the bill for a perfect working trigger again.

If you read through the link you posted, you will see a very favorable outcome for PGT. Have you owned one?

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Harv,

I do have one in my Kolar! It is a favorable post I posted. The link was started by the owners of the company.

I just wanted the OP to know that they are great triggers, but beware of the fact that only they can change anything in the trigger, or they have to charge you to get it back to original before they will. If nothing is changed, the warranty and great service is still in play. They then started the service to inspect for a small fee, so buyers of used can have an idea of the costs involved, if changed. That is why I provided the link. I have no idea why that thread went negative in the beginning. Plenty of liability in triggers, so I totally agree with their stance.

Great triggers no doubt! I am very happy with them.

Reactions: JACK

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stl Flyn is correct about work being done by someone other than them. I bought a used one and needed it fitted to gun and called them to discuss it. They said I had to send them gun and trigger or take it to them . If anybody else worked on it they said exactly that , they may not work on it .

·
Super Moderator
3,061 Posts
"if they do actually decide to work on it" doesn't sound positive to me. Sorry if I mistook your meaning.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I understand. That was in reference to if the trigger frame was changed to the point of no return.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Do not have one but squadmate I shoot most with does have one.
Seems to break a lot of springs would be only problem I have seen with it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Precision Gold Triggers are great and Jim Coons is even better! Superior materials, workmanship, and function in the trigger, manufactured with pride by a skilled man who is willing to 'go the extra mile' to provide exceptionally good service. After shooting one for a while, you will wonder why you didn't buy a PGT earlier.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
^---- Total B.S. ---- :above1: :wtf:

I've owned one for a year... and see literally dozens of shooters with them in my area (Colorado). I have never broken a spring ... never seen or even heard about one breaking.

If what Hale said was even CLOSE to the truth we would have a Samsung lithium battery type problem on our hands .

The leaf springs are $50 each and if anybody ever broke more than one of them, I'm sure the trigger had been messed with by unauthorized personnel and would have to go back to Precision Gold for a correction and adjustment. Those springs are made to last a lifetime.
Charlie, Jim's supplier of springs sent a bad batch two or three years ago. The supplier didn't follow contract specs when laser cutting spring blanks and burned the carbon out of the top couple of layers of blanks. So following the forging and heat treating there were a few springs that were break prone. Jim took care of the owners, as he always does, and those springs are out of the chain now.

There is spring breakage on ALL flat mainspring locks. No matter how experienced the maker. Springs have been breaking in gun locks for 400 plus years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Precision Gold triggers are excellent in all regards as is there customer service. I completely agree with Ray Stafford's opinion that Jimmy set out to build the best competition trigger possible and he believes, as do I, that he has done just that. Have 2 TM versions and 2 MX versions with tens of thousands of rounds fired through each. Noting, they all fire exactly the same, time after time.

Maintence is minimal and turn around time is fastest on the planet if needed. (Yes your going to break something or pull a bridal into at some point, as with anything mechanical that's metal hammering on metal it has to break at some point).

Give them a call and get one on the way, you will be glad you did.

Lewis LaRoche, Sr

·
Administrator
8,271 Posts
If you are going to shoot double release a PGT is the right trigger to have :) I had one that I shot as a pull--pull and liked it a lot. I think Alferman is making trigger for Perazzi's now but do not know if they are for the single Bls only or for the O/U MX style shotguns. I think Merlyn would know that answer to that one.

·
Premium Member
10,496 Posts
I have two. I'm a pull trigger shooter and mine really don't feel much different than a newly tuned standard Perazzi trigger .... HOWEVER .... the Precision Gold has not changed, in pull weight or crispness or slack for nearly 10 years.

As for springs ... it's the nature of the beast. Flat springs break, usually near the radius. They just do.

I believe that Jim Coons recognized that the Perazzi triggers were well designed and highly admired by some of the best shooters in clay target shooting and was convinced that he could improve it. In my case I'm tickled that mine seems bullet proof. BCR

1 - 20 of 36 Posts