Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a lefty shooter and have mainly shot skeet over the years with a Remington 1187 with 28" barrels. Our club also has single trap so I tried it out recently with the 1187 and am liking it a lot, I already have my average to about a 23 after only a dozen or so rounds. I'm on the hunt for a dedicated trap gun, I had been looking at BT-99's which I've heard are pretty much neutral cast then I stumbled upon a practically new (30 shells shot) Beretta 687 Joel Etchen silver pigeon III, its a 30" O/U, adjustable comb/pad and priced pretty well considering its practically new. I like its cast for a LH shooter and adjustable for shooting trap. The only thing I don't like is the fact that all we have is singles and no double trap in the area so the O/U barrel will be mainly used as a single shot. Will using a 30" barrel over a 34" single barrel but much of a detriment?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

A 34" BT-99 while a nice gun is only good for one thing Trap Shooting single targets. A 30" O/U has no disadvantage for shooting trap and can be used for anything Singles, Handicap, Doubles, Sporting Clays, and Hunting.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

Look Up the late Great Leo Harrison's singles record, he used a Beretta o/u.

I made the 27 yrd line with a Rem. 3200 30" barrels. (for what that's worth} :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

Several top shooters use their O/U for singles and doubles and the single for handicap. A word of caution from a lefty, while an adjustable comb can give the appearance of good fit, a true left hand stock will make a world of difference. Beretta did make a true left hand stock for the 68X series guns.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

Go for it. I have a Krieghoff KS-5 Special that I use for trap. I have a Beretta 682 trap with an adjustable comb that I use for sporting clays and it is my backup trap gun. To tell you the truth I shoot the Beretta O/U every bit as well as the single barrel Krieghoff.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

I watched a jr. Olympic shooter kill 99 from the 27 with a 30" barrel. Bunker shooters break targets at absolutely insane distances with 30" barrels. The gun will not hold you back.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

I shot a 30" Superposed for years before I got my 682x combo. If you're comfortable with it and like the gun shoot it !!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

I too shoot a (1964) Browning Superposed O/U, 30", full/full at singles trap. I have the option to shoot doubles, sporting clays, or hunting if need be. I like the versatility, but I mostly shoot a Ljutic Mono-Gun.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

Last August my son pulled the wrong barrel set out of his case... Realized it when he got to the line.

He has a 32" O/U he uses for singles, handicap and doubles and a 30" O/U for skeet, sporties and bunker.

197 birds later he finally missed.

Oh, he still had the LM choke in from shooting sporties the day before.

A 30" will break trap targets just fine!

SW

·
Registered
463 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

In Australia you could count on one hand the amount of people that use a single barrel for singles.

30inch O/U trap guns dominate the sport here and in bunker trap both here and throughout Europe.

I'm sure it will serve you well!

·
Vendor
2,102 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

As many have said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 30" O/U, they usually are not muzzle heavy like some 32" O/U guns can be.

If possible shoot it first and see how well you shoot it. If you shoot it as well or better than your current gun; well, you will know what to do.

Don

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

The shot payload will never know the difference. Since you are not used to an O/U, you will not tell the difference. My Beretta is a 32 inch. I have a 28" field gun that I shoot sometimes. The targets are just as dead as when I use the 32 Inch. If the gun fits you to shoot comfortably, you will be fine.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

The World's Championship at Pigeons has been won more than once with 26" barrels.

Like they say, the only thing 32" barrels are is just a couple inches closer to the target.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Opinions of buying a 30

You said you were a skeet shooter.You are used to shorter barrels. Jump on the 30 in gun,it will suit you much better than a longer barreled gun..Sometimes a longer barreled gun will cause a skeet shooter who is used to shorter barrels to start aiming at trap targets or start bead checking..besides the 30 inch can be used for skeet,trap or sporting..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts