Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i bought a brand new 3200 1 of 1000 but it is full over full with .045 in each barrel. If i decided to leave it fixed chokes an have it opened up. Opinions please on what to shoot. I like full chokes on all yardages but .045 seems extreme. I will shoot doubles as well an i will probably never sell it

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you don't plan on selling it you won't have to worry about resale value so I guess you can do what you want.

But on the flip side, there are more practical guns to be used for a dedicated trap gun than an old 1/1000 3200 with XF/XF chokes (probably meant for live bird gun).

Full and M /IM are a nice choke set though for trap doubles and even sporting clays.

·
Sky Buster
4,186 Posts
If you don't plan on selling it you won't have to worry about resale value so I guess you can do what you want.

But on the flip side, there are more practical guns to be used for a dedicated trap gun than an old 1/1000 3200 with XF/XF chokes (probably meant for live bird gun).

Full and M /IM are a nice choke set though for trap doubles and even sporting clays.
.030 and .035

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Doesn't the hardness of shot, from promo to premium, change pattern performance about the same as changing 2 choke sizes?
If that's the case then just shoot promo loads when you want to open it up, and shoot premium for when you want tighter patterns.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
It's your property and you can do with it what you see fit, but that's a pretty special one to molest with modifications. In the same position, out of respect for what it is, I'd sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is and go buy another gun with those funds.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
I would pack it in the safe for long term storage!!! Then go out and buy a modern trap shotgun with choke tubes in it. Well you did ask what I would do!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'm in the" trade it for something you don't have to modify" group.

·
Registered
32,616 Posts
Leave it, you can shoot singles or handicap with the bottom barrel if you decide to or need a backup gun. Leo Harrison said something to the effect (I don’t have exact quote) any choke is fine as long as it is full.

I have a 3200 with IM-F and wish they were both full. All my O/U’s with choke tubes are F/F.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
About 10 percent of the time I forget to switch to my IM barrel and start shooting doubles with my full choke. My first target scores are the same. At some point I wonder why I am not really crushing second targets, look down, and see that I am shooting my full choke first. Shoot it for a year before you make a decision.

Reactions: 1100 REMINGTON MAN

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not a big deal to me to let wilkenson modify a full over full from .045 to .035 or something else. I think my scores would improve with a still full choke but not excessive full.i bought it to use, compared to other trap guns it is cheap an i cant shoot anything else as good so far as good as a 3200. Iam convienced it is the triggers locktime but who really knows. Heck i have spent almost as much money on being fitted an then having stockwork done an cant shoot that gun better than a 3200 idk why..it just works for me, thanks for your opinions, at least im not putting tubes in it lol

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
In my main k-80 the over under is .36 bottom .38 top 9nly because it isn't .38 and.40! Lol. Leave it alone is my vote.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Many 3200s do not have thick enough barrel walls to allow even thin-wall choke tube installation, so it may not be an option anyway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ok i bought a brand new 3200 1 of 1000 but it is full over full with .045 in each barrel. If i decided to leave it fixed chokes an have it opened up. Opinions please on what to shoot. I like full chokes on all yardages but .045 seems extreme. I will shoot doubles as well an i will probably never sell it
Do not mess with it. Learn to shoot it and grind the targets. Remember choke for smoke! Messing with the choke will hurt the resale should you want something else later..

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you plan on keeping this gun, sending it to Tom Wilkinson to open it up would be my recommendation vs getting it tubed (which may not be an option anyway due to 3200 bbls being so thin). In reality a fixed XF/XF constriction is certainly not ideal for a modern target shotgun unless it's a dedicated 27 yard gun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts