Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Do a search on this site for "porting". The vast majority of posters will tell you "DON'T DO IT" and those of us that "drank the Kool-Aid" in the 80's and ported our guns and wish we hadn't are in the majority also I'd bet.

Ron Burr

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
It DOES reduce muzzle rise. Some people think that is a benefit on doubles.

It does make the barrel a bit weaker in that area, though it is still "strong enough."

If your gun doesn't have it, I wouldn't pay to have it done. If your gun does have it, it's probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree that "good ports" (holes installed @ proper angle) in theory should help muzzle jump. These likely would of have been installed by the EDM process or possibly now a days via laser, not drilled. Down side is that I and others have had debris blown our way out of previous shooters ports to our left when out on the line. I think if some gunsmith could come up with a process to "UN-PORT" a barrel he would be flooded with requests to do so.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The vast majority of shooters here that are nay sayers on porting have not had PROPER porting done, the majority of accomplished shooters pay to have this service done because it works! I had two sets of k-80 o/u barrels 32 inch, Tom wilkinson tuned, both identical bore and constriction , one pro ported pigeon port one with none, 11 shooters, eyes closed testing, same box of new 2 3/4 federal plastics, same gun, same day and time, 100% chose the ported barrels, I then sent the other set to have them done as is my custom with all of my tourney guns, no cleaning required ever. Unless you do a similar test, you will never know. have fun, incinerate em!

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Porting reduces muzzle jump!!! It flat out works!!! Pro-Porting is the one I choose. Browning has them as standard equip on almost all their shotguns. It really does help you get to the second shot faster. It also allows shooters to see the broken target more clearly (in a single shot game) without having to lift their head off the gun to do so.

Would I spend extra money to have a vendor install Pro-porting on one of my older barrels??? No!!! I want them factory installed on my guns. break em all. Jeff

·
Banned
890 Posts
I have had guns both ways. The small difference I noticed was a little less muzzle jump on doubles. But, I would not have it done to my K80.

·
Registered
14,109 Posts
I have pro-port pigeon porting on my kolar.

Muzzle jump with light 1oz 12ga loads is significantly less than when I shoot the 20ga subgauge tubes, which are unported. Even though my barrels are 2-3oz lighter when I shoot 12ga. I feel that my 12ga loads have maybe a touch more recoil, but it is smoother (not as much of a sharp jolt), and muzzle jump is way less. If it weren't for one event this year I decided to try 20ga again which was disastrous, I'd be on track for one of my best years in doubles.

I am very seriously considering getting another set of 20ga tubes made and having them ported as well.

Personally, i believe the DESIGN of the ports matters very little. The LOCATION of the ports is most critical (as high up on the barrel toward the rib, and as close to the muzzle as possible), and their size is also critical (the shape and design doesn't matter if the same volume of gas is exhausted).

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
The vast majority of shooters here that are nay sayers on porting have not had PROPER porting done, the majority of accomplished shooters pay to have this service done because it works! I had two sets of k-80 o/u barrels 32 inch, Tom wilkinson tuned, both identical bore and constriction , one pro ported pigeon port one with none, 11 shooters, eyes closed testing, same box of new 2 3/4 federal plastics, same gun, same day and time, 100% chose the ported barrels, I then sent the other set to have them done as is my custom with all of my tourney guns, no cleaning required ever. Unless you do a similar test, you will never know. have fun, incinerate em!
Probably as good of a test that could be conducted.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Ported barrels on a shotgun are like curb feelers and port-a wall tires on your car. Both work, but who needs either of em, lessen it is just to be cool.

GneJ

1 - 20 of 86 Posts