Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a model 101 black diamond, anyone out there with experience on the gun. Dependable? godd shooter etc. Value if in good to excellent condition. Has ported barrel and chokes??

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would shoot it before purchasing...They have a rep of having uncomfortable recoil. One of my shooting buddy's had one years ago and I can attest it kicked like a mule

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
I have been shooting one for 5 yrs now and never had a problem with recoil. It has been a good shooter for me. Make the gun fit you. Don't expect an off the shelf gun to fit like a glove. Bill

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have two of them,when it gets to be some serious shooting the Pgun gets put away and out comes the Diamond Grade.I lenthend the forcing cone and magna ported the barrel.

·
Premium Member
10,532 Posts
Unpleasant recoil is code for "kicks the crap out of you". The later 101 Classic Doubles guns are overbored and a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 101 has the same felt recoil as any of my other 12 gauge break-open guns. I adjusted the LOP and the comb to my style of shooting, and the recoil is no worse than any of my other guns. IF IT DON'T FIT, IT'S GONNA KICK.

Jack

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I bought a Winchester 101 Trap in 1969. Shot the gun for ten years. It performed very well, I never had a misfunction of any kind, and I never felt the recoil was any different from Browning Broadway guns, or Model 12s that I also shot. I am not sure where that recoil scare got started, but I bet if you compare the recoil of a 101 over/under to a BT-99, the 99 would kick worse, and look how many of those are being shot out there without complaint!

Anyway, my humble opinion is...shoot the gun first if you can. If it is not uncomfortable for you and you get a good price, buy the gun. It should keep shooting longer than you will. Martinpicker

·
Registered
360 Posts
Right - shoot it first. But saying that, I have 5 and love them - 50,000 rounds a year. No failures, and excellent craftsmanship unlike the new ones. Does not have any greater felt recoil that Citori/BT99/Beretta, etc.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Have a Diamond Grade 101 unsingle, with a gracoil and had the gun fit to me. It got me to the 27 yd line in 4500 birds, as long as I pointed it right, it crushed them, fixed full .040 constriction, lengthened forcing cone, for me 90/10 POI and it is for sale. I just could not keep a release trigger in it (currently pull trigger), switched to an MX10TS combo. But that 101 unsingle, did very fine by me. But I am averaged sized guy 5' 9" 185 # and it is 14" LOP was very easy to get it to fit. Scott

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
I can tell ya they kick the shit outta me. I got one for my wife and it gave her a black eye in one round. My thought was bad form tho she was shooting really well at the time w/ a Beretta. So I shot the gun - three shells and that was it for me. Sold it to a guy at the club and he loved it. Go figger.

best of luck

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I had one too. Shot for a couple of years and eventually discovered that the the cheek slap was caused by a faulty mount and the stock's pitch. Corrected both, added about six ounces of coins to the bolt hole and it shot fine.

I also had it Magniported which did nothing to end the cheek slap.

Rollin

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I got to shoot a friends and it felt great to me...and after that was wanting to find a mint unsingle combo but never found one realistically priced,..that lust fell by the wayside after I got to shooting Berettas and Browning Pluses

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Had a 101 combo, nice gun well put together with good quality. Like others it pounded me until I had the forcing cones lengthened, in stock reducer installed. I guy I sold it to loves it and still has it as far as I know.

Surfer

·
Registered
466 Posts
I could never quite figure this out. While at the Grand, my son and I wore out the demo guns Browning, Beretta, Kriegoff, ect. The Citori and the XT had very tame recoil to me, but the 101 ate me alive.

They are all made by Browning, but must be cut quite differently. I'm a bit on the scrawny side though 5'-10" and 150 lbs.

regards,

Todd

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The 101's were not made by the same company as Brownings although both came from Japanese companies. Lengthening the forcing cones on the 101 was a great help reducing recoil, adding in a recoil reducer calmed it way down as I mentioned earlier.

Surfer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.