Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a new to me Remington 1100 Trap. The code on the barrel is CB and apparently indicates it was manufactured on April in one of these years: 2007, 1981, 1956, 1933.

It's in super nice shape so I'd have to think 1981 or 2007 ... if I was guessing I'd say 1981.

Anyways, on the initial range day the operating handle fell out, luckily I was able to recover it ... however it must have been a problem for the previous owner as well as it had copious amounts of JB Weld on it.

I disassembled the gun and have cleaned the JB Weld off, the ball and spring retainer seem to be working properly with good spring, the handle seems to fit in properly and is fairly tight however I'm told by vets at the club that it should be harder to pull out.

So a couple of questions ...

1) Apparently there are two types of handles, how do I know if I have the correct one for this gun?
2) Any suggestions on how to make it snug in a little tighter?

Thanks

This is the one I have now:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
1956 and 1933 are out, as the 1100 was introduced in 1960. That looks like the newer one; it is designed for the two different types of detent ball arrangements; The old style where the ball was on the bottom, and the new style where the ball is on the back. The only way to make it tighter (JB Weld obviously isn't the answer) is a new handle-or fill in the hole for the ball with TIG weld, and gradually remove material until you get the right fit.
Remington has the part in stock, on sale for $8.74.

1100/11-87 12 Gauge Operating Handle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1956 and 1933 are out, as the 1100 was introduced in 1960. That looks like the newer one; it is designed for the two different types of detent ball arrangements; The old style where the ball was on the bottom, and the new style where the ball is on the back. The only way to make it tighter (JB Weld obviously isn't the answer) is a new handle-or fill in the hole for the ball with TIG weld, and gradually remove material until you get the right fit.
Remington has the part in stock, on sale for $8.74.

1100/11-87 12 Gauge Operating Handle
So are you saying my gun was probably manufactured in 2007?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
The handle must match the action bar and the action bar detent spring must be operating correctly.
If you buy the part new from Remington (according to their picture for the part on their web site), it will have both cut-outs for the ball-bottom and back. Obviously, if using an old part, you have to match it up. I don't know about all current models of 1100/11-87, but my 1100 Competition's op handle only has the back cut-out for the ball.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
If the operating handle is too easy to pull out, you likely need a new spring under the detent ball. It should not just fall out under recoil. The old style with the ball on the under side are not difficult to replace. the newer style with the ball at the rear of the o.h. are more difficult, having to drive out a drift pin.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my 28 ga 1100. 1 st firing pin return spring, repaired that. Was on station 2 , saw charging handle missing, looked around and found it at my feet. Put back in but very loose. When I got home, disassembled & found broken detent spring. Remington was having a 20% sale, called customer service as not all parts are listed. Gave model & serial #. Ordered parts. 1 detent retainer F14431, 2 detent plungers F15097, 2 magazine cap detent springs F16791. $ 17.00 in parts, $ 14.00 to ship. Shipping was a kick in the balls. Made repair, handle no longer a problem. Tip: make repair in a big plastic bag, had to find parts 3x after they flew out.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This thread caught my attention as my 1100 bolt felt easy to pull out, older style action bar. I took the gun to my shop for disassembly, with the action bar out I saw the retainer was broken at the hole for the ball. Tipping the action bar on its side the retainer, ball and spring fell out. I was able to find the pieces of the retainer and the ball, not the spring. Fortunately I have a few new style bars in their packages so I installed a new bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts