·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Centurion by Liberty safe today and after uncrating it
I used the key to open it, worked fine, but like a genius I relocked it
and left all the instructions and combination paperwork inside, and now
I can't get the keys to work to reopen it. Anyone with advice on how
to help an idiot would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Bret.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dial combinatioon locks can be opened sometimes by looping a cord around the dial a couple of times and then spinning it back and forth quickly by pulling on each end of the cord. Works on cheap combination padlocks. If electronic best idea is maybe a locksmith.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
I thought i was the only one that did dumb sh!t like this. I'd call the Company that made the safe and just maybe they could help you. Find serial numbers and have all purchase info ready to prove your not a safe theif.

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it has a digital lock try this combination:
123456#

To open the Lock
Make sure the keypad is turned counterclockwise to stop. Press the code digits or letters in order,
followed by #. Then, within six seconds, turn the keypad clockwise about 70 degrees (2 o’clock
position), until it comes to a positive stop. Do not put any pressure on the safe handle until
after the keypad has been turned.

Hope this helps

Beaglemutt

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
"If it has a digital lock try this combination: 123456#"

To be honest, if this works i'd take the safe back. How secure is it if a child can open it. Thats a code that a kid would try just play'n around.

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
IF you have the manual lock, then try this:

MANUAL LOCK—OPENING INSTRUCTIONS (FIRST TIME)
The combination lock on your safe has been set randomly at the factory. Most safes come
standard with a key-locking dial. To unlock the dial, insert the dial key and turn the key a half a turn
clockwise. Turn the dial to the right (clockwise). The dial should stop at about “87”. Turn safe
handle and open door. With door open, you can now verify your combination.

More information is available at the Liberty safe website

http://www.libertysafe.com/images/downloads/forms/pdf/1_use_care_manual_2010_2_10.pdf

Good luck

Beaglemutt

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
But he already opened it "The 1st time". Then he closed it with all the important stuff inside. Time for the Acety/Oxy cut'n torch.

I see what your say'n though. Maybe since he didn't set/program a combo it might still open on the factory default.

Matt

·
Registered
730 Posts
I purchased a Liberty gun safe from Gander Mountain which has the Sargent and Greenleaf dial. The sporting goods manager could not get the safe open using the combination he had on file for that safe. He came back with a card file of all the safes they had in stock and checked for any new safe combinations. Nothing worked.

He then called Liberty. They wouldn't give him any information but asked for the Store Name and location and the manager's name. After about 15 minutes Liberty called back and asked for the manager. He gave them the serial number from his card file, they gave him the combination, and the safe opened.

Please note that Liberty didn't rely on the initial phone call but checked out the store name and called the number that they found for that store.

You may have your store do the same thing.

Michael Stephenson

·
Premium Member
10,502 Posts
The key only locks the dial from spinning

You might be able to write the company with copies of your receipt - serial number and an affidavit from you and the store manager that you purchased the safe on a certain day (hopefully that was recently)

The affidavit should have a notary sign it

regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Premium Member
10,502 Posts
An option to prevent this "loss" of a combination

Send yourself an email with the combination and then take the sent email or received one and create a file folder in your emails for this

As a last resort - you can go to your email file-

Name the file whatever you want

regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Gene--Everytime i put something somewhere so i'll know exactly where it is, i loose it. I cleaned my workshop up and now i can't find one damn tool. Your idea is a good one though. I would hide the combo several places.

Matt

·
Registered
814 Posts
After you get the safe open and the combo set up,put in your cell phone under a name and put in the combo as a phone number.I have 3 safes with different combos, and have mixed up the combinations a couple of times usually when you are loading the truck for a quick shoot.or a leauge nite shoot.

lol

Bob S

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did finally get the info. I needed and got the safe open. After researching
the net and several phone calls later, I spoke with tech support directly
at Liberty. He informed me that there was a serial # sticker on top of the safe. I called the store where I purchased the safe and gave them the serial
# and they in turn called Liberty and got me the combination from their files.
Saved me alot of time in calling Liberty myself and proving it was mine and blah blah. FYI if I would have had to have the local locksmith drill it, cost could have been around $600. Also it's a good thing I have a patient 11 yr. old to open it for me, because i'm still having hell opening it myself. Thanks to all for your help and concerns, hope this helps someone from doing
something as dumb as I just did. Thanks Bret

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Bret,

A patient 11 year old with the ability to successfully open a gun safe worries me and seems counterintuitive.

I have my safe primarily to keep youngsters and the curious separated from my firearms. I worry more about that than thieves.

I'm sure your youngster is responsible and well-schooled, but maybe you should learn how to open it yourself and then change the combo just to be sure.

I'll admit that all of this is none of my business.

Respectfully submitted,

Guy Babin

·
Registered
613 Posts
Glad it all worked out good for you!

It is always good to keep the combination(s) somewhere, besides in your head, should one have a temporary memory lapse.

I have three different safes and usually I can remember each one seperately when I walk up to it--BUT, sometimes I do forget so I do have another place that I keep the information.

When I was younger and worked for a Financial Institution (Bank) I had as many as six different combinations memorized at one time.

Allen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.