Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread on range rules got me to thinking? How about our trap range rules! I have been concerned about our very basic and simple OPEN OR OUT rule . It seems to me that the last few years we have been very lax in observing and enforcing this rule. While observing growth of the youth programs in our area, it has became an issue to me that safety may be real concern !!! But I have not seen any problems with the training and the youth applying these rules . What I have notice is the problem with some of us old hands at this sport .

It is not ok for us to carry a fire arm with closed action!! We must show the youth the proper way. It is not OK for us to forget how to count to five and change post with a live round in our action ! It is not ok for us to swing our stiff old bodies around to question anyone anything and sweep the shooting line with a closed action .

We do not have range officers , it is up to us to follow and enforce our own safety rules.

these are just a couple of the things that I have noticed, feel free to add some of your own.

And by the way when you see a person walking down the line right in front of you with a closed action , do you say anything ? should you ! Kirk Sanders

·
Registered
909 Posts
At my club, 10 people would speak to the perp within 30 seconds.

·
Registered
346 Posts
"And by the way when you see a person walking down the line right in front of you with a closed action , do you say anything? should you!"

YES YOU SHOULD! I am chairman of the Trap Committee of our Club and have found it necessary to correct shooters for safety violations. We had one violator refuse to comply and it led to harsh words. There were other shooters including Club officers and Board Members that witnessed the events. No one said a word. I think if you see a safety violation and do not say something or report the situation to a Club official you are as guilty as the offender.

Trap shooting, target shooting, plinking or any handling/use of any firearm is serious and requires safety at all times.

I agree that our youth shooters are being taught well. The problems I have observed are with older shooters.

Shoot Safe! Lee Wild

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
When off station, open and empty, always pointed in a safe direction. I am an RO, and I call people on it, but luckily don't have to very often, and usually not more than once. I also go over this every time I see a new shooter arrive at the range. I would expect other shooters to notify me of dangerous situations, if they don't want to correct the shooter themselves. Better safe than sorry. Mark

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have asked (politely) Please open your action. You may know it's empty but people around you don't know that for sure. Make them feel safe!
That's the first request.. the second to the same person is loud enough for most all within earshot to hear. "Open that damn gun & point it safely!" Makes the point! Usually doesn't need a second reminder.

Big Jack

·
Registered
346 Posts
Politeness and tone of voice is important. Sometimes it doesn't matter to the offender. Peer pressure (others speaking up about the safety violation) works a high percentage of the time.

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
Always remind new shooters who are not following the safety rules that your club, and clay target shooting in general, have a great safety record. And our unending goal is to keep that safety record spotless.

These are club rules, and everyone must follow them, or you just don't get to shoot.

Remind them that you just don't hear about accidents at clay target shooting clubs, and that's because we police our own, and we make sure all our members are behaving safely, for our sake and their sake.

This goes for ear and eye protection too.

Remind them that one accident could spell a law suit and the end of your club, and nobody wants that.

Remind them that lawyers would love to make a bunch of money on an incident where a club didn't enforce its own posted safety rules.

·
5,245 Posts
Barrels Forward... I've seen folks who carry break action guns open and hit folks with the barrels swinging around... they forget there is 30+" behind them... always with a smile...

Jay

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I will go along with what Tim is saying and would add to that with the manner in which the message is delivered has a lot to do with how it is received and accepted. A calm tone on your part along with a smile will help the person on the other end realize that you are looking out for them.

This is something I have to do quite frequently and I don't hesitate to talk with a person if their gun handling is not what it needs to be. Then to re-inforce the message, I will make a point of watching the person and when I see them carrying their shotgun action open as they should I'll say 'good job' and smile. No hard feelings and you don't usually see a second offense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts