Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use more open chokes for singles or other short yardages? If so what chokes and how far back to change to tighter chokes?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I very seldom change. I usually shoot a Perazzi #7 choke approximately 28 thou. for both singles and long yardage handicap. Once in a while will shoot a #8--32 thou. for hdc.

Steve

·
Registered
823 Posts
A lot depends on how early (close) you shoot at the target, and your skill in centering the target. A very good, fast shooter will see very little difference in scores at 16 yards when changing from full chokes down to a "good modified"; that is down to around .022" constriction.

Any more open and average score will suffer, as well as wins.

Full chokes work well also, something close to .030" is very good, though it's certainly fine to use the tightest standard chokes, up to .040, especially for long handicap.

Short answer is the choke selection must be optimized for target distance - not where you stand but when the target is shot. GAP

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I shoot either the U barrel of my bunker barrels (.019") or my unsingle (.035) for singles and notice absolutely no difference in scores.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I practice with a .040 constriction choke and shoot a .027 construction choke at 16 and everything else. I had a.020 choke made and don't seem to do as well with it as I do with the .027.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I have been experimenting with the best 16 yd. choke constriction during this past year having tried .020, .025, .030, and .035 chokes. I shoot the target fairly fast but would say it is less than 35 yards during most 16 yd shots. My better and almost identical scores have been achieved while using .025 and .030 from the 16 yard line. I like the feedback from the breaks I obtain from the .030 choke best. I shoot .035 for handicap (24 yds). Ralph

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have a Carlson's IM that patterns a very good hot-core at 35 yards. At 45 yards it has spread throughout the 30" circle so I use it at the 27 too. For games longer then that, I use a full or extra full.

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts