Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, I submitted a proxy bid for a 30" BBL Remington 3200 magnum choked F/F, and I won the auction. It's serial number 40,000 something, by the way.

The few times I've shot the 3200, they were awesome shotguns.

This one is either "new unfired" or "as new" in the original box in 100% condition.

After I bid on it, something else came up that made the purchase not so sensible. But I couldn't back out.

So my options as I see them are:
1. Send the barrels off to Briley to have them tapped for chokes if possible.
(Not ideal, as the cost includes Briley chokes. And I'd prefer Mullers.). In this instance, I'd use it as a sporting clays/skeet gun.

2. Take up shooting trap doubles, and leave it "as is".

3. Sell it.

Last question: I'm somewhat familiar with the barrel and receiver issues that affected particularly the earlier serial numbers. Anything in particular I should look out for on this later model?

jh

Edited typo "unfixed" (damn spellcheck) to "unfired".

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If it is in fact a magnum 3200, meaning it has factory chambers for 3 inch magnum shells, I would not alter it in any way. Not a lot of those were made compared to the other variants & were not offered at the beginning of production. Those were made when lead was still allowed for waterfowl hunting. IMO, sell it to someone looking for that model & buy something you want. Colonel

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thanks, guys. It is indeed a magnum, set up for 3" shells.

I hunt waterfowl with a Benelli SBE, and wouldn't think of taking a shiny new (old) piece like this out in my duck boat.

I'll await other input, but those suggestions were pretty strong. I'll plan to put it up for sale here if I decide to sell it.

jh

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'd leave it alone and sell it. If it breaks, repairs can be very expensive. I know a fellow that spent $700.00 having his repaired. His gun is probably worth $1000.00 to $1200.00. Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Here is what you might expect to get if you sell, this one just sold at gunrunner in Burton Ohio. IMO the 3200 is not a gun you would want to run 3" shells through. They are prone to cracking stocks and forends. The breech face is not as strong as it should have been. Pat Laib does a breech face and forend repair on this model. If I were going to shoot one seriously, I would spend the money and have him do the repairs. In a like new 3200, I would just have the forend upgrade done now and know that the breech face might need done later. If you have questions, I would call Laib's before doing any modifications. They are the 3200 go to guys.

Doug
Item 1155228074 (Remington Model 3200 Magnum, 12 ga. over/under shotgun, 30” vent rib barrels, Box)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You can see on this one that Jaquas just took in how much the value drops on the ones that don't have the updates. It is a two barrel set for $850.
Doug
Jaquas

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one I bought. (The one on gunrunner, that is.). That was the price, plus the buyer's premium/shipping.

So if and when I post it for sale, I'll just try to recover my cost. Looks like a pretty nice piece.

I was aware of Laib's, but thanks for the reminder. I considered having them tap the barrels for chokes until I was cautioned against it here.
jh

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Read and re-read the postings above from colonel opinion and Sundown. Excellent, knowledgeable advice. I had bad experience with repair costs and even though I really like 3200s, just keep them as fond memories, but would not risk buying one. Regards, Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a special trap 3200 in 32 " which are a lot less common than the 30 " . I shoot doubles with it and love it . For kicks I shot a round of practice with it from the 16 and broke 24.
It grinds up targets . Don't sell it! Nothing like a good old Remington . But a 90 T so it has a brother . That's what I did ! Best of Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
You DO NOT need any updates. Serial numbers in the 40,000 range were done at the factory. The serial number OU.40xxx indicates this was done by the . between the OU and number. You paid a fair price for it, being that it is nearly new.

Also, there is nothing wrong with shooting 3" shells in it in regards to the breach face. If it would not handle 3" shells, it would not have been made that way. Personally, I would not take it to the field either, but it is safe to shoot as it is. The only thing I would do is have a gunsmith glass bed the stock to the receiver. That will not make it any less valuable.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
nitro27man, I didn't mean to say that it was not safe to shoot 3" shells in the 3200 magnum. I was just saying that in my opinion it is not smart. Would you not agree that the 3200 breech face was made with material that didn't hold up over extended use? I would assume that a steady diet of 3" magnum loads would accelerate this issue of closing the firing pin holes on the breech face. Also, it is well known that 3200's were prone to breaking the forend wood. If I had a 3200 as nice as this one that jh bought and I was going to USE it, I would have Laib's at a minimum replace the springs or do the full forend update. Knowing the 3200's weaknesses, why not try to prevent the issues before they occur?
Doug Allison

·
Trump2020
774 Posts
Anything you do to that barrel will KILL any resale. Briley is an excellent company, but threading vintage barrels makes me cringe.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
You don't need any upgrades, forend or otherwise. Next, yes, the barrels are thicker and heavier. Next, don't build up the stock for trap. Buy a trap stock. It will take a lifetime to distort the firing pin holes. Don't worry about it. Most old wive's tales about the 3200 come from people who have never owned one.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
nitro27man, I didn't mean to say that it was not safe to shoot 3" shells in the 3200 magnum. I was just saying that in my opinion it is not smart. Would you not agree that the 3200 breech face was made with material that didn't hold up over extended use? I would assume that a steady diet of 3" magnum loads would accelerate this issue of closing the firing pin holes on the breech face. Also, it is well known that 3200's were prone to breaking the forend wood. If I had a 3200 as nice as this one that jh bought and I was going to USE it, I would have Laib's at a minimum replace the springs or do the full forend update. Knowing the 3200's weaknesses, why not try to prevent the issues before they occur?
Doug Allison
Dbl Auto,
I was just making sure the OP did not think there was something wrong with shooting 3". The problem, such as it occurs, is the difference in hardness of the firing pin versus the receiver and wallowing out the hole in the breach face. This occurs over tens of thousands of rounds, not the few hundred shells likely shot at ducks. Whether a 2-3/4" magnum or 3" magnum is used, the wear would not be appreciably different (there are 2-3/4" magnums with 1-1/4 oz of shot and 3" magnums with 1-1/8 oz) per shot. Also, if you note Laib's ads, the Perazzi firing pin hole also needs repair (some guns) after thousands of shots.

Forends are another story. Most of the cracking came from not maintaining the tightness of the forend iron screws. Of course fancier wood as used on target guns does have more chance to crack. This gun should have the latest forend iron, being in the last 6000 or so production so that should be a minimal concern. Sure, have Laib look it over.

All this said, I would not take it to a duck blind, either!! Too nice to do that. If the OP is not going to shoot trap with it (stock configuration is not ideal) then a sale or hang on to it would be my choices.

Scott Hanes

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
i speak from 30 years shooting a 3200 and winning 3 world titles with one.

1. the stock will crack in the wrist.
2. the forearm wood will crack.
3. the firing pin holes will wear out.
4. over oiling with penetration type oils will cause the bbl pivot lugs to fall out.
5. the firing pins will begin dragging off the primers scratching bbls and bending firing pins.

1,000,000 rounds later, itll still be shooting.

40,000 is a good serial number range.

a 3200 is a heavy gun. 3200's kick.

your gun as is will fetch the best price.
the instant you send it to laibs, regardless of the improvements, itll drop in value to a collector.

fact: the more time goes by, the less parts and guns in operating condition will be around.
to find one in mint condition is a PREMIUM.

if you decide to shoot it, 3200 trap guns shoot high. closer to 70-30.

a full full is a great gun for ata trap for this reason....

bottom bbl is regualted to the top. meaning....bottom bbl rises to meet the line of site. bottom bbl is good for 16yd line.
top bbl is line of site, which makes for a good straight shot on the peak at 27yd. aim and fire. no lead.
i always use top bbl on 50yd games while others miss and use bottom.
having full-full gives you an option....a good thing.

the first thing to go will be either the wrist crack or the forearm wood crack.
the ejectors on a 3200 are too powerfull and the snapping of the ejectors when cocked, cracks the wood.
laibs reinforces the forearm wood and puts in lighter springs that accomplishes the same thing only easier.

so...you need to decide to sell it and get good money or keep it, modify it, and shoot it.
its 3 times less than a krieghoff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts