Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
Over the last few years I have given my trap guns to my son in law to save for my three grandsons to use when they are older. My oldest grandson will be 10 years old shortly and I decided that I'd like to purchase a nice rifle for him for future use so he could go deer hunting with his dad someday.

I ran into a very good friend of mine as he is a deer hunter and knows about rifles. I am not a deer hunter and know very little about rifles.

We both go into the local Gander Mountain and the salesperson is showing us different types of rifles as my friend and I are both looking at them and we both decided on which one to purchase.

The salesperson goes in the back room and 10 minutes later comes out with his boss and they refuse to sell me the gun as they felt that I was purchasing the gun for my friend instead of my grandson.

I tried to be upfront with them to no avail. I took my friend home and went to a competitor and purchased the rifle myself. I hold no animosity to Gander Mountain, even though I have never had much luck in dealing with them now or in the past.

Any one ever have this happen to them? I was made to feel like a potential criminal even though I am a law abiding citizen.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Probably thought you were a "sting". Especially since there were two of you.

Move on, enjoy your grandsons.

Bob Falfa

·
Well known trouble maker
2,834 Posts
Tis the times we live in.

Be it Dicks, Cabela's, Gander or Bass Pro they all are terrified of one thing and one thing only. The loss of Money. It is always about the money.

Think what would happen to any of these corporations regarding the value of their stock should someone go nutso and shoot up a public place and later it be determined the weapon was bought from their store. The sell off would be crushing.

These clerks are so over the top conditioned by management to look for any little thing they perceive as possibly not normal that they overreact.

I never thought I would have to walk in my socks in order to catch a flight.

Tis the times we live in.

Doc

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
If they had the impression that you guys were making a "straw" sale then they probably made the right business decision.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think Yakimaman is correct. Federal law prohibits "Straw" sales of firearms.
I think is is legal for someone to buy a firearm as a gift for a family member who otherwise may legally possess and own the purchased firearm.

John

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Steve, I wouldn't make to much of this. It is called "protecting their ass" brought on by all the weird stuff that is happening in our society.

They were just being over cautious which I can't blame them for.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember the time when it was so easy to purchase a gun. What is sad is that all these laws inconvenience only the law abiding citizens. It is very obvious should you want to purchase a gun you better go into the store by yourself.

Any one know exactly what happens to a business that allows what they call a straw purchase?
Steve

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just received a PM from someone and we were discussing the way things are today. I said when I was a kid in the 50's, I walked around the neighborhood in a cowboy outfit and a gun and holster. Recently, a woman had a child come up to my door for trick or treat in a cowboy costume with a holster strapped around his waist with a banana in his holster instead of a toy gun. Give me a break! Are some of these people going crazy?
Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know a guy that works at Gander and another that works in a local gun shop.They both are required to abandon the sale if it has any indications of a straw sale.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Hello Steve,
We are living in a world where the law abiding become victim and victimized because they are easy to find and safe to confront. Rather than make a true effort to find the truth and act on it the common action is simply to deny the activity. The more safe the idiots attempt to make the world the more folks you will have walking around with bananas in their holsters.
Our government is creating a world of excuses and reasons to deny the law abiding citizenry freedoms and rights its called control through fear..... Larry

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
All licensed gun dealers have to abide by all laws regarding the sale of firearms. There are no exceptions like store policies or self made rules. Your case was handled like it should of been as a straw purchase. This exact same reaction should have been the same by ANY FFL Dealer not just Gander Mountain. You did the right thing by taking a knowledgeable friend to show them to you at the store. When it comes to purchasing it you need to go it alone like you did. No crime just regulations that have to be adhered to by all dealers. Dealers are warned and warned about "Straw Purchases". If there is any indication of it they must refuse the sale like they did in your case. The ATF will prosecute these dealers and hold them accountable.

Too bad they never held Eric Holder responsible for his deadly actions. He got people killed allowing "Straw Purchasers" to buy massive amounts of guns in the US to send guns to Mexico. He has the protection of Obama and all the other corrupt pukes in Washington. None of us could ever get that level of special treatment by the political system to save our ass.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Holder is Obamas friend ..he can do no wrong even if he does and will not be subject to the same laws and punishment if he does. On another matter after looking over the selections give the money to your son and let him buy it. ed

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had an incident like that a few years ago at a military exchange. I wanted to buy my grandson a TC Encore, the woman behind the counter refused, I asked to see the manager , he wasn't helpful till I stated I would go down to building and discuss this situation with the Commanding General. I am retired military and my grand son was an active duty Marine. We got the Encore and an apology from the exchange officer. Some times you just have to rock the boat and make waves. They can only dump on you if you let them.Woody

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You never say "I"m buying this for my grandson" or "son" or "wife" or anybody but yourself.
They can only sell the gun to you.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With all these added laws and inconveniences things seem to be getting worse and not better. I forgot to mention, at the Gander Mountain that my friend and I originally went to we saw a another Gander Mountain sales person who we know is a trapshooter, who we have actually shot with him and he never said a word, as he just walked away and went into the back room???
Steve

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
just witnessed the same thing at a local gun shop. A lady changed her story 3 times while trying to buy a gun for her but her boy friend would use, might use then was only for her. They refused selling to her worried about a straw sale sting operation

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
The required form must be filled out and signed no matter what state or what dealer. BATF rules and regulations are uniform throughout the country.
I have been an FFL dealer for over 30 years.. Take the opportunity to read the BATF rule and regulation for gift purchases.
The law must be followed, not store policies or self made rules.
Steve was denied on suspicion, not fact nor law. Larry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never buy or bought new from big box stores! Overpriced and to much waiting. I can buy the same guns far less at local gunshop and be in and out in not much time at all!!

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
This was just as much an overreaction as sending the kid home because he nibbled his poptart into a gun shape.

Once you stated firmly the purchase was for your own use, the store made you into a liar for their own purpose. I would guess any real straw purchases are done unaccompanied.

Welcome to the Brave New World.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I recently purchased two pistols, one for my father and one for my daughter, through a friend who has a FFL. He pointed out when filling out the form do not indicate you are buying for someone else, also to his knowledge they were for my use. As far as I know it is legal to give pistols as gifts in the state I reside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts