Trapshooters Forum banner

One progressive reloader for all 4 gauges?

3135 Views 25 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  cheoah
I have a Ponsness Warren 375 with two toolheads, one with .410/28ga, the other with 20ga/12ga. It’s awesome. The main things I love about it are how quickly I can swap gauges and how relatively little space the spare toolheads take up.

With that in mind, what progressive press is comes closest to it in terms of speed of swapping between gauges and taking up relatively little space?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I use the Spolar & switch from 12 to 20g or vise versa in minutes. Pull the reservoirs,pull the LED connection, slide out the charge bar, remove the two head bolts. Place the new head & reverse the process.
Under 10 mins & with all stations pre set just check your drop weights & load away. The only thing faster would be to have side by side loaders which IMO takes too much bench real estate & for me just not practical.

· Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I have a Ponsness Warren 375 with two toolheads, one with .410/28ga, the other with 20ga/12ga. It’s awesome. The main things I love about it are how quickly I can swap gauges and how relatively little space the spare toolheads take up.

With that in mind, what progressive press is comes closest to it in terms of speed of swapping between gauges and taking up relatively little space?
I think Spolar would set the standard for the ease with which you can change gauges, I don’t know about taking up relatively little space though.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
If you don't mind parting with substantially more cash, the Spolar is the answer. Otherwise, the PW800+ will do the same so you can invest the difference. With a 6% annual return you'll be surprised at the total evaluation if you sold everything (Spolar or PW) and added the cash accumulation after a few years.

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
If you don't mind parting with substantially more cash, the Spolar is the answer. Otherwise, the PW800+ will do the same so you can invest the difference. With a 6% annual return you'll be surprised at the total evaluation if you sold everything (Spolar or PW) and added the cash accumulation after a few years.
This is totally the wrong way to look at it. And where can you get a 6% guaranteed annual return?

· Registered
4,494 Posts
I only have the 12 gauge version right now but Spolar boasts about how quick and easy it is to swap their equipment from gauge to gauge. I have found it really easy just to put different Mec 9000 on the automate and away I go.
I was running 4 (actually, 7) MEC 9000's on an Automate, and switched to a Spolar.

It doesn't take long to switch the tool head on a Spolar, but for me, it was much quicker to just swap entire machine on an Automate.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Nebs: It's never wrong to invest money. If you can't achieve a 6% return......, well, you may wish to change strategy. Note: Not a thing wrong with springing for the Spolar. It's all about what you wish to do with your discretionary cash. The OP did inquire about possible options.

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PW 800+ is easily changed between gauges. Not as fast as the 375 but, easy just the same. I own a 375 and 800+.
So Spolars are crazy expensive...I can't justify $4k+ at this time. I was looking at the 800+, but I was under the impression there's one machine size for 12/20 and a different machine size for 28/410. Are they all the same size and interchangeable from 12ga down to .410?

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
So Spolars are crazy expensive...I can't justify $4k+ at this time. I was looking at the 800+, but I was under the impression there's one machine size for 12/20 and a different machine size for 28/410. Are they all the same size and interchangeable from 12ga down to .410?
4K? The loader is $2,500 ready for 1 gauge manually operated. One loader can do multiple gauges with accessory heads.
New barrels run between 2 & 4K
Triggers 1,200 to 2K & beyond
Quality used guns running between 8,12 K
At $2,500 the Spolar is the best 2,500 you could invest in your shooting future. Not to mention the availability of good used machines

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4K? The loader is $2,500 ready for 1 gauge manually operated. One loader can do multiple gauges with accessory heads.
New barrels run between 2 & 4K
Triggers 1,200 to 2K & beyond
Quality used guns running between 8,12 K
At $2,500 the Spolar is the best 2,500 you could invest in your shooting future. Not to mention the availability of good used machines
It's $2500 for the reloader in 12ga, then 3x $600 for 20ga, 28ga, and .410 gauge change assembly and caddy, which makes it $4300 without tax and shipping. Since I reload primarily to save money over buying new shells, that's a lot of shells before I break even, even loading a lot of .410 and 28ga.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
To stay at projected budget, just buy a PW800+ with 3 gauge conversion units. Slightly used is even better. You already have bushings, etc. from your 375's that you can use. You may also find that you may prefer to use the 375 instead of the 800+ (e.g., .410). So, start with the 800+ in 12 ga. and add gauge conversion sets as desired.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.