Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys have answered this over a thousand times on here. But it turns out I'm not good at finding things through searches. Just wondering what hulls you consider to be the best for reloading and why. Thanks for your help. Nick A.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
1.Remingtons
2.Federals
3.Winchesters

They all load,just seems with MY Mec,Rems need less adjustment and best(consistency)spelling?.

Doug H. (Pa.)

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Remington Nitro 27 & STS. For a reason I can't explain, the Nitro seems to tolerate more reloadings. Perhaps it's because I use them for the 1oz loads for 1st shot in doubles..

Best.... mike

PS: don't use Rem primers. . for me Win 209 works best.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
Remington's. I'm afraid of Winchester AA's ever since I witnessed a base wad lodging in my Buddy's barrel.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
STS's are slick as butter in any loader. Been loading them since they came out, and were thrown in the garbage. Back then everyone wanted AA's and Gold Medals. Especially if you re-size the brass first.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I'm with Tron on this one, had the same experience. Base wad stuck in shooting pardners bbl, shot sounded funny\odd, had to drive it out backwards with a rod.

That's the only one I've ever seen and he still loads a few AAs. Ross Puls

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I too, Like Ross & Tron have seen a base wad migrate from a Winchester AA. Reload Remingtons & federals--avoid reloading anything with a base wad

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
1. STS

2. Nitro27

3. Old one-piece AA

4. ?

No two-piece base wad to snag the overpowder cup. Excellent lifespan. Easily IDed. Competitively priced when empty. Aren't picky about the primer they use. Wads interchange between brands/models.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Free hulls. It's just a f&*ing tube. I have yet to shoot a twice fired hull, because there are so many Fed TG, RIOs, Estates, etc. And the load fine. If a loader doesn't know what he's doing, no hull is good. I hear other shooters begging and scrounging for that precious Nitro, et al., and their score is no better than mine.

And not reloading a 1X factory hull more than once will not give that basewad issue, multiples will. Reloading only once precludes me from having to keep track in different bins/boxes/barrels how many time each has been fired. I don't have that closure issue that I see some others do, keeping them standing upright or ahot will fall out.

Once again, IT'S JUST a F&%%ING TUBE.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
DS, And a shotgun barrel is just a piece of steel pipe. What kind of gun do you shoot? :) Mark

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
The STS hull is FAR superior to any other! Winchester handed over the title of best hull long ago when they went to the cheapo two piece hull! I would say Federals are a distant second. The plastic in the AAs is very stiff and brittle. I load them for popper doubles. The STS hulls just keep going and going!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
OK you guys are scaring me with the base wad deal. Was there any warning with the base wad separation? Never had a problem so far with many thousands of reloads. But it only takes once. Was this with the new type of AA's? I thought they had the problems ironed out with the AA hulls.

Bill

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
One huge Winchester fan got a scare of his life while his wife was shooting his reloaded Winchester hulls.

She came back and said that she couldn't see through her barrel after she shot.

"Something is stuck in the barrel".

We had all heard of this happening, but it was a first to witness. Needless to say, no more Winchester hulls for this group.

Base wad from a silver Winchester hull with one reload on it.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Look down your barrel after every shot and there will never be a problem. I have a routine which allows me to see if the barrel is clear while I'm inserting the next round. It doesn't take any extra time to do. Of course it's not that simple with a pump or auto.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If you have ever watched Debbie Ohey you see her always blow down the barrel after each shot. I ahve no idea if that is for safety reasons or just a habit, but it is a good thing she does.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts