Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,302 Posts
Tenn Clay Target Complex, started out as Nashville Gun Club, since 1898. No, I was NOT one of the original members. LOL

However, my member # is 468. Member since 1958.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The Hamilton Gun Club in Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada have some documentation that trace the organization back to 1882. I'm not a member there, but do shoot there on a regular basis. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Edwardsville Gun Club - Edwardsville, Illinois - 1879 - Oldest Continuously Operating Gun Club in America - Great Small Club - Join us on your way to or from Sparta. Dennis B

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
South End Gun Club, near Reading, PA. Founded 1887. Oldest continually operating gun club in the U.S.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
dennis, When did Edwardsville open back up. Last I heard it was closed. We used to take the Ferry at Cave In Rock from the KY side and shoot up there when we lived in KY.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm a member at Capitol City Trap & Skeet, Austin, TX. No idea how old it is, but certainly not too terribly old. That's not why I'm posting, though.

I was surprised at how many clubs are claiming "oldest" club status, whether it be oldest, oldest active, or oldest continuously running. I think, though, that San Antonio probably has that claim wrapped up. Their web site indicates they were founded in 1857 as a rifle club. Are there any other clubs that were founded earlier than 1857?

This is a cool thread. Like a small glimpse into history and a chance to reflect on how the shooting sports have changed over the lifespan of a gun club. Members come and go, but the club endures.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I'm a life member of the Martinez Gun Club in the Bay Area of California which celebrated it's 100th anniversary during the mid-1970s while I lived nearby. The club originated on the Sacramento River bank in Martinez throwing glass balls over the river for shooters to break. It has been located in 3 locations and always associated with the City of Martinez with the current location dating back to the 1950s. While I rarely attend anymore living in Oregon, I was present when the big day was celebrated and there were newspaper copies available to verify the actual date.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.