Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Someone on a local forum recently advertised a bunch of (what seem to be) older Remington 209 (non premier/sts) primers...30 bucks/1000 - I'm pretty new to reloading and was wondering if anyone might explain the primary differences between the STS primers and these ones...and if they're worth buying.

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for the responses below fellas! I'll pass on them and keep using Cheddites and STS hulls for now ;)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The Remington 209p and the Remington STS 209 differ only in the advertising. The older, smaller primers hmb is referring to is the Remington 57.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would be careful on such a deal.
Somewhere around 1998 or so, Remington had a recall on 209 primers.
Remington had produced a huge lot of defective primers.
Remington made good on all the bad one's sent back to them....I had picked up 5 sleeves (25000) on a trip to Kansas City.
These defective primers were replace...with a BONUS sleeve of 5000.
Remember the Old Saying: "If a deal is too good? It usually is not a deal at all"

461 Posts
The original Remington 209 primers were HOT. They were a stop-gap effort to remarket the Blue Magic Shells with the lookalike Peters Target Load With New Hotter Primer, or at least to keep that ammo on life-support until the Premier Ammo could be introduced. Those primers looked like Federal 209s. Some said they were Federal 209s sub-contracted as a quick fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts