Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 20 years, I'm getting back into reloading. I found that I have a box of about 100 Win hulls marked AA. These have a separate plastic basewad but are not marked as "HS." About half of them are marked "Heavy (3-1 1/8-8) and the rest are marked "Light (2 3/4-1 1/8-8). The head stamp reads "Winchester 12ga AA." I guess I've had these hulls since about 1995.

Lyman's #4 gives load data for "Win Polyformed Plastic Cases Plastic Basewad" and "Win Compression Formed Plastic Cases."

Lyman's #5 gives combined data for "Win HS and Compression Formed Plastic Cases."

My question is whether I have HS hulls or something else. They are definitely not one-piece CF hulls.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Those HS hulls which are not marked HS or have a box printed around the AA, or both, are the vintage that would occasionally leave one of those basewads in the barrel or send them downrange. After learning this, I disposed of all that met that description. You need to decide your choice, Keep or throw?

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes you are in the right era of time. I would not mess with them. Heck it’s only 100 of them. You’d be better off reloading Gun Clubs. And if you want 1000 of them free let me know. I’ll give them to you so that you can start reloading again. Will have to figure out how to get them to you. Maybe you are local?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
What you likely have are what we refer to as "1st generation" AAHS hulls. There were reports of that plastic base-wad coming loose but, so far as I can recall, no one suffered as a result. Some theorize the base-wad becomes detached during the reloading process by the primer insertion. Certain reloader using so-called "dies" that hold each hull as it moves around the plate and use a different process for inserting the primer that does not depend on pressure applied by a ram on the top of the basewad. It is those loaders, so the theory goes, that cause the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I suspected they were the first gen HS hulls with the associated basewad problems. I'll toss them since I have a big supply of CF, STS, and Nitro hulls. All were scrounged after a big trap shoot at my club.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The HS hulls were first produced around 2000. For the 2000 Grand some of the shells were CF and some where HS. I assume they were switching over at the time and some machines were still making the old style.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tossed them. There were only 80 hulls in my stash and I don't load very many 12 ga hulls.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What you likely have are what we refer to as "1st generation" AAHS hulls. There were reports of that plastic base-wad coming loose but, so far as I can recall, no one suffered as a result. Some theorize the base-wad becomes detached during the reloading process by the primer insertion. Certain reloader using so-called "dies" that hold each hull as it moves around the plate and use a different process for inserting the primer that does not depend on pressure applied by a ram on the top of the basewad. It is those loaders, so the theory goes, that cause the problem.

I have some older AA-HS hulls with the red base wad do I assume these hulls were the first generation with the base wad that would be dislodged? All my newer AAHS wads have the off white or opaque colored base wad.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I have some older AA-HS hulls with the red base wad do I assume these hulls were the first generation with the base wad that would be dislodged? All my newer AAHS wads have the off white or opaque colored base wad.
The best way to tell is by looking at the printing on the side of the hull. 1st gen AAHS hulls had a box around the "AA" printed on the side. Later versions either had no box or had the AA underlined.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Good info here. Don't take a chance. I saw several bulged barrels from these shells. I had a Mason jar full of basewads from the trap range. They were in front of the traphouse, so were not dislodged by a lawnmower.

The "AA" must have a line under it, or nothing under it. If the logo is in a box, or the basewads are red, toss them. If the casehead does not have "HS" where gauge used to be, toss them.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I would use them. The primer seating punch will push any loose basewads bock down and reseat them. The theory is the basewads were loosened during insertion of the primer where the force is applied from the bottom, not the top. MEC primer insertion using the punch and applies the pressure to the top of the basewad. Hornadays do the same thing. Its the PW and Spolar you have to watch out for.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand what you mean, Nebs. I've read other threads about primer insertion pushing base wads up or even pushing the hull up from the brass. Those issues were related to the brand of reloader (PW and Spolar) and were caused by the method those units use to insert primers. MEC units use top down pressure. But heck, there were only about 80 of those hulls so I tossed them. I was going to load some 3/4 oz. shells but with only 80 hulls, it's hardly worth making adjustments to the loader. I'd probably use them all about the time I got the loader tuned. I have plenty of AA, Nitro, and STS hulls.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pitch them is the right answer. I keep a Gen 1 AA with the box around it on my desk as a reminder, it has a black or gray basewad and it is about halfway up the case. I wonder what would happen the next time it was fired after being reloaded on MEC where the basewad was pushed back down into position? Be careful out there!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Our club has a lot of guys who reload, one or two seem to stick with AA HS. If you have a regular place to shoot, take em in and ask if anyone wants em.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I said previously, I tossed them. There weren't enough of them to make it worth tweaking the loader.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts