Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Kickeez change the formula for their pads at some point? A friend got an older PFS with an older Kickeez pad on it and it was much softer than my 2-month old Kickeez pad. It looked like it was a different material and was almost as soft as a Trap Dude pad.

Anyone no if there was some sort of change or reason that accounts for the difference? Do they get softer with age/use or something?

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
The pad I have on my KS-5 is the same deal. Much softer rubber, and it is dull compared to the new pads.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The older pads are softer. I still have a couple on guns that I shot in the 90's. They are still soft and pliable.
I have changed the newer kick-eez out for Gooey pads, because of the hardness.

I have talked to the factory about this and they say they haven't changed. My shoulder says they have.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it's the difference between Standard and Magnum Kick-eez pads? Anyone know if the magnum ones are softer?

I looked on the Kick-eez website and they have nothing says what the difference is...they do mention some sort of dual-action pad, but it sounds like something different.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,438 Posts
The duel action has 2 layers of sorbothane. The base layer is much softer (almost like a Gooey) and the upper layer, that contacts the shoulder is like the standard pads have.

·
Vendor
19,942 Posts
And too, they now make the harder surface that does not wear easily and a softer inner segment that makes for a better recoil absorption.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Yep, they changed at some point.

As far as I can tell, somewhere around the time they switched from using screw hole plugs to using small open holes.

Kick-eez told me they didn't change, as did Rucker, but I still have one of the old Kickeez pads here (sadly it's too small to do anything with, but I keep it around as evidence more than anything else), and the difference is night and day, anybody who held the old one in one hand and a new one in the other and told me they were the same would be a liar.

Consequently I use trapdude pads on my own guns, and recommend limbsaver pads for anybody asking (since most people aren't willing to deal with the shorter lifespan of a trapdude pad).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kick-Eez has experimented with the formula over the years and the business has been run by different people over they years. The current people running it out of Washington State have only been handling the business for 10 years or so - and are doing a fine job. Before that, it was run out of Carthage, MO by one of the originators and in Kansas before Missouri. I worked quite closely with them during my stock modification years. The "soft" ones were one of the configurations that were made back in the days of the larger mounting holes that used plugs. Those "soft" ones had the bad habit of ripping or breaking apart from the mounting holes to the outside of the pad WAY before the pad actually wore out. Outcry from customers lead to them tweaking the Sorbothane formula for a longer lasting pad. Today's pad is probably one of the best configurations for a good balance between comfort and longevity.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Kick-Eez has experimented with the formula over the years and the business has been run by different people over they years. The current people running it out of Washington State have only been handling the business for 10 years or so - and are doing a fine job. Before that, it was run out of Carthage, MO by one of the originators and in Kansas before Missouri. I worked quite closely with them during my stock modification years. The "soft" ones were one of the configurations that were made back in the days of the larger mounting holes that used plugs. Those "soft" ones had the bad habit of ripping or breaking apart from the mounting holes to the outside of the pad WAY before the pad actually wore out. Outcry from customers lead to them tweaking the Sorbothane formula for a longer lasting pad. Today's pad is probably one of the best configurations for a good balance between comfort and longevity.
If that's the case, it'd be nice (and more honest) if they actually owned up to changing the formula and stated the above reasoning instead of insisting it's always been the same.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,937 Posts
Short Bio off their web site
About Us
KICK-EEZ® is much more than a company to our President, Willard M. Latimer (a World War II Veteran), and his family; it’s a lifestyle! Willard, who is in his 90s, began his hunting career as a young boy learning from his Grandfather, Samuel M. Latimer. He has passed on his love of the sport to all his family; in fact, he is now sharing his love with the third generation of his own family! Since hunting has always been one of the most important things in Willard’s life, the beginning of KICK-EEZ® was a natural phenomenon. Willard was golfing one day in 1985 with some friends at his local golf course in Chehalis, Washington, and a friend pulled a piece of Sorbothane® out of his pocket and asked what he thought it could be used for. Without hesitation, Willard answered, “It sure would make a good gun pad!” KICK-EEZ® was created the very next year!

KICK-EEZ® is located at 1819 Schurman Way, #106, Woodland, WA, close to where Willard and his family reside. Willard is now retired but his daughter, Susan is the Office Manager; daughter Cheryl is the General Manager and her husband, Dave, is the Warehouse Manager & Technical Support Person (the one who can answer ALL your questions all the time!) and his sons, Steve & Bill are Vice Presidents.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I think they are still great pads. Trapdudes to me are to soft, and really fill up a belt on the sander, along with the sticky mess.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think they are still great pads. Trapdudes to me are to soft, and really fill up a belt on the sander, along with the sticky mess.
It is my understanding that if you freeze the soft pads before they are sanded it becomes a lot easier. I just read that somewhere.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My experience with Kick-EEZ pads was they were always different softness/hardness with each pad you took out of the box.
I tried Limbsavers and now consider them to be the best pad. They are a dual spring, linear and progressive, and are durable. But they are more difficult to grind.

CT

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just went through this a few months ago with Kick-Eez, and I also called Dave and asked if they had switched to a harder compound lately, or gotten a bad batch of material. Dave, of course, said no.

I had bought three pads recently - varying thicknesses - for a Seitz. After they were all ground to fit, I shot with one of them and noticed the gun kicked harder than before. Turns out they were all a newer, harder compound.

Fortunately, I've still got several older, softer ones sitting around, including three N.O.S. ones that are unused, never-mounted, so I will muddle through and be okay.

I have Kick-Eez mounted on a good number of shotguns, and they're ALL significantly softer than these last three, so it isn't likely that I will ever be buying another one from them. Unless somebody here eventually starts another thread mentioning that they have gone back to the softer compound.

I've never tried Gooey pads, but certainly will the next time I need to buy a new pad.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
I tried Limbsavers and now consider them to be the best pad. They are a dual spring, linear and progressive, and are durable. But they are more difficult to grind.

CT
You've got that right, limbsavers are the most difficult pads to grind.

Even so, they are the ones I recommend when someone asks or has me fit one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts