Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I acquired 130 bags of lead shot for free. they are mostly #8 and 7-1/2. most are magnum some are just hardened lead. I have been reloading with this shot now for a while and I have one issue that is difficult to solve so I am asking if anyone has a viable solution. since the shot is old is has oxidized. and when i load often times the shot, due to the rough texture, bridges in the shot drop tube of my Spolar and doesn't charge the hull, and sometimes drops after a few seconds and spills everywhere.

I tried graphite, which is expensive and doesn't coat the pellets like new shot, so that doesn't work. the best solution I have found which could use some improvement is this. I empty the bag into a 5 gallon bucket and spray the shot with silicone spray. I mix it with a paddle and let it dry overnight. this works OK, but I still at times get a hangup and some spillage.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Try CLR (http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm) - ideally a small amount added to shot in a cement mixer - rinse with water when done. Should give nice, clean shot when done.

If you use it right away no real need to add graphite, but given your experience you might choose to use it on this shot.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Graphite is not expensive. You can buy enough to lube those 130 bags of shot at John Deere for $5. Use a cement mixer to get rid of the oxidation and add a teaspoon of graphite to lube the shot. HMB

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you guys say "cement Mixer" what exactly are you talking about? the big tow behind the truck mixer?

·
Registered
430 Posts
use the small harbor freight type...around $100....or better yet use a rifle brass tumbler with the graphite used for grain drills.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had the same problem with new shot that I assume wasn't protected from the weather. I dump the bag in my vibrating brass polisher with no media for 30 min and it knocks off all the oxidation. There is enough graphite already on the shot so that it looks like new when finished. Pour it through the wind outside if you want to get rid of the resulting dust.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, I never thought of using a vibratory tumbler. I bought 1/2 ton of reclaimed a couple of years ago and it looks terrible. Not a problem though the Spolar, but it just ugly. I'll give it a try. Larry

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Electric Cement mixer. These can also be rented fairly cheap.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The guy is talking about over 1.5 tons of shot. I don't see a small brass tumbler as the practical tool for that job. That would be like digging a drainage ditch with tea spoon.

Just Say'n........

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did over 1000 lbs. in a tumbler. Could do about 50# at a time. Would load shells while the shot was tumbling. Takes very little graphite

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, I wouldn't tumble the entire load I have, just a few bags at a time. but thanks for the suggestions. they all sound great. I'll give some a try.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
If you don't want to get an electric mixer you can get a 'foot powered' one... scepter 04239 7 gallon odjob mixer

See link

·
Supporting Vendor
1,257 Posts
I shocked at you trapshooters. By now someone should have told him that it was no good and that he should give it away to them to dispose of properly. So I will make that offer. Lol. Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you use a vibratory tumbler you can put one of those dryer sheets in the tumbler and it will collect most of the dust.I put one in my tumbler when I'm doing brass and they really collect all the nasty stuff.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The reason it hangs up is the taper at the end of the shot drop tube. I had the same problem. Cut the taper off with a wacksaw. The taper only makes it a little easer to put the wad on but it's no big thing without it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts