Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently squired some old parts from a fellow (about 50 years of age) whose grandfather use to build rifles. He gave me some loose parts. I would be surprised if anyone could identify all of these parts, but maybe someone can explain a couple of them. The firing pins/spring assemblies are over 6" long. Some of the pics are hard to see, but the ruler in the pic which is for scale is 6" long.

Some pics are just neat to see some old stuff, like the hex screws that are made in PA and are packaged in a rugged cardboard box.

HOW DO THESE THINGS WORK?

How do these these things work? They appear to maybe fit into a lathe?

What is this thing?

What are these? The seem to be too narrow to be scope bases?

And some sort of magazine, it appear to be a 22 long rifle, but am not certain...

Anyways, some neat USA made parts prior to 1980, some parts are probably a couple decades older.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The "narrow scope bases" are a universal design that will fit either iron target sights or accept outside adjustable rings for tube scopes (which have no internal adjustments). Like old Lyman Targetspots, JW Fecker, Unertl, etc. The screws above them are probably for these bases. If you want to part with them and the screws, please PM me. I use them on single shot rifles. They might or might not fit my projects but I'd be willing to take a chance.

The "what is this thing" is a follower for a bolt action internal magazine. I dunno which make or model off hand.

The brass mesh heads are for bore polishing shotguns with steel wool and oil.

The partial bolt with exposed firing pin and spring appears to be a 1903 Springfield.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The thin scope bases are for Unertyl scopes. The follower is a 30-40 Krag I think. Lots of Mauser parts, firing pins, triggers and misc.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
The white nylon jags are for cleaning, center a patch on the point. should fit your cleaning rod.

The "lathe" referenced things are Lead Removers (forgot the brand name), extra screens for them (they adjust via the threaded bottom part), a couple jags for different shotgun gauges, and some mops for the end of your wooden cleaning rod that have had steel wool wrapped around them.

The 6 inch scale was made by General for advertising handouts.

Guy must have had a real cleaning fetish.

HM

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The screws are from my neck of the woods....SPS was an abrevation for Standard Press Steel the building is still standing not so sure about the business currently operating.

Jim

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to each of you guys for your responses.

Barfin, that is funny, so you are saying you want to buy the "ugliest ever gucci bolt from me?"

·
Registered
383 Posts
The items listed with the caption, look like they may fit in a lathe are Tomlinson bore cleaners and fit on the end of your cleaning rod.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That was fun....actually the damascene looking 03 bolt was in vogue for custom prewar 03 rifles at one time. The stipled bolt handle maybe not... ;)

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
need to shoot more,

SPS is still standing and still working. One of my son's friends works there.

Still a lot of punch and die work as well as making them for others.

They have the distinction of making the dies for the first flip top can (As I recall it was for Black Label Beer) - pull tabs style - the death of the Church Key.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Suggest you put the narrow scope bases up for sale on Gunbroker.com or e-Bay. You would be surprised at what these things go for. If you send me a PM and list the letters on the bases, I can tell you which rifle they fit as I have an original Unertl scope base chart. They sell better if they can be identified by the letter on them. There were two types of Unertl bases, standard and Posa, the latter being offered for rifles with heavy recoil. The two bases are not interchangeable as the clamping cuts are different. You will probably find that you can sell the Unertl bases for far more than all of the rest of the items combined.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with some of those above in that you probably have more money there than you realize. Auto parts stores sell rust remover that may make the Winchester grip cap look better.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I agreed to give the bases away already, so I won't change now, except on the amount, I will still send out 1 set for free to the shooters that asked, but am going to try and sell rest. I would just like to see this stuff go to good use.

Any money I make will go back to the grandson, he had no idea that this stuff was potentially worth a few hundred bucks and obviously neither did I. A quick search on the unertl showed the front and rear sight going for a couple hundred bucks on a parts website. WOW!!! The grandson doesn't expect anything, so it will be nice to give him some cash.

Thanks again for the other replies. I will post a couple more pics of pieces in this box that I have no idea as to what they are use for.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Please, if the bases have value skip sending them to me and by all means sell them. The last time I picked any up they were going for chump change.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couple more parts... What are they?

/uploads

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/noknock1_2008_030390.jpg

/uploads~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/noknock1_2008_030392.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts