Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question and may have been asked before.... but what do you do with the spent primers after you deprime your shells? Do you throw them away? Recycle them? Sell them for scrap? I'm not sure what would be the best option. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Jesse

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
I just toss them.

You can make rifle rest bags out of them by using old shot bags. But if you do this, use the cloth bags and double bag them or the primer flanges can dig into the wood stock on your rifle.

Reactions: MasterMason0719

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Everyone at our club saves them and I put them in old cloth shot bags and give them to the rifle range for shooting (sand) bags.

They are nice to use and are a lot lighter than the sand. The rifle guys really like them.

We have not had any trouble with wood stocks?

·
Registered
791 Posts
They go as light iron for me. I put them in buckets with scrap ends, bolts, nuts, and other small stuff. Sure beats sending them to the landfill.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Recycling them is a good idea. I hadn't thought of it before but I'll start saving them for an annual recycle run.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Some places will recycle them, some will not. I did some consulting for a scrap dealer that did not want them because they were afraid of getting a couple of live ones when the went to melt them. Others said no problem. Ask first.
Mikr

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I haven't had them turned down yet, or even asked about, but I can see the point. I'm not sure a couple live primers would cause much of an issue though.
Primers, probably not. I once worked for a company that delivered thousands of tons of scrap steel every month to a steel mill that did nothing but melt scrap and make other products from it. They were supersensitive to automotive shock absorbers for fear that they would explode in the melt.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I overheard a guy at the club saying that one type of primer (I can't remember which) is all brass...maybe Remington? His scrap yard takes those as dirty brass, which is like $1lb.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I gave my first 5gal bucket back to my son that he started that bucket when he was young. He was surprised I kept it and was on my 2nd bucket. I don't know what he done with it. He had wrote the date that he started it and I wrote when I closed it. I guess he may have kept it for sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
I overheard a guy at the club saying that one type of primer (I can't remember which) is all brass...maybe Remington? His scrap yard takes those as dirty brass, which is like $1lb.
One way to check, try to pick them up with a magnet.

I suspect there is ferrous metal in them, though I do not know.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
Remington primers most definitely have ferrous metals. Stick like glue to a magnet.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
This might be a stupid question and may have been asked before.... but what do you do with the spent primers after you deprime your shells? Do you throw them away? Recycle them? Sell them for scrap? I'm not sure what would be the best option. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Jesse
I sell them to my friends as once fire.
jack mc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts