Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I load a 12ga shell with 1oz shot and 17gr of old old old red dot will it go poof, bang or boom?? I am ok with poof or bang but I don't want BOOM.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Funny you should ask...... I have some of the same stuff and posted almost the same question. The concensus:

Load it and shoot it

Mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quite a few years ago - maybe before Alliant bought Hercules - there was a published report that the first lot of Red Dot ever made still performed as well as it ever did. Maybe Alliant will give us an updated report.

The smell test is a good one. What you are smelling for is NO2 which can also be detected as reddish-brown fumes. It has a very acrid odor which is rather unlike the solvent smell of good powder.

Johnpe

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Take a cap full of the powder and take a branch and light the end and put it to the powder. It will go up if good and will not hurt a thing. If it doesn't do a thing then throw it away.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I just got done with a 12 pound keg of 700X that I purchased in 1971 had about 8 pounds that had been around all those years--guess what it Works Fine!!!

Chuck

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
You both could be right. The Hercules add in their manuals does not say what kind of powder, just indicates how old it is.

I'm shooting powder from the 50's and 60's right now and have never had any that did not go bang. I check my loads over a chronograph and they are consistently where they are supposed to be.

Ajax

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I bought a bunch of Red Dot and Green Dot in an estate sell 2 years ago.It was from a local store that had been closed since 1981.The Red Dot was in the all metal can.I bet the powder was from the late 60's.No problem with it at all and the price was right.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I pulled powder from 8mm nazi era mfg duds,and loaded them right into new cases with the original bullet, and fired so many with no problems at all,to the point I got sick of pulling the friggin` things,and gave the rest away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.