Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has thousands of old paper type shotgun shell hulls. They've never been used but have been sitting in storage for a long time. Can these still be used? Or would it be more trouble than their worth?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If they have been stored dry they probably ok..

Probably have to just attempt to load a few and see how they do

Do you know what they are Federals or?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Find out what brand they are. The Federals are pretty good to load. The Winchesters are a little more trouble.

That I know of, the Federals have not changed and are the same today as the old ones and can use the 12s series wads.

The Winchesters take the shorter Winchester Red wad. The Winchester case has a high base wad that does not do well in the loaders with a inside primer ram.

If they are Remington they take a different size primer. The Remington size "57" and the size 209 that we use today, will not fit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's dry here in the high desert of Northern Arizona so storage conditions shouldn't be a problem unless heat adversely affects them. Good to know they still may be used. I'll have to check the brand, etc. Apparently he has about 15 thousand of them. Coincidentally I also just ran across elsewhere a Texan shotshell conditioner with a built-in heater. Apparently these are used for paper hulls. This may be fun to pursue.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Jump on the Texan paper shell conditioner. Paper hull conditioners are no longer made. Having one that heats the hull is essential for melting and redistributing the wax in the paper. With properly reconditioned hull mouths, you can make factory like loads.

Nothing better than the smell of a paper hull in the morning.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Heat is good for them. Moisture will swell them up and make them hard to go into a sizing die. Check for pin holes around the top of the brass base.

Have fun with them, but be more cautious checking the barrel for base wads. When I 'm shooting them I check the barrel after every shot and make sure I look at the used case when I take it out of my gun.

The Winchesters have trouble with the base wads, I personally would not shoot them in anything but a break open gun.

I have never had a base wad come out of a Federal case, but I had the whole case come off at the top of the Brass. Mostly they just set in the chamber.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Used to get several reloads out of the old Fed. GM papers when using pump guns some years ago. Can't do that now with a break open gun. My cousin who retired from Federal a couple of years ago said that the new papers have fewer paper wraps than the old hulls (assume hull wall thickness is the same). Using similar load recipe as years ago the pin holes where the paper meets the base appear much sooner these days but they still shoot and smell just as good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts