Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if a old model BT 99 is a high shooter or not. I thought you could check the serial number to determine this? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Pattern board and a few shots should tell you better than a serial number.

Matt

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You can take someones word for it, but not everyone shoots the same, holds the same or reaction time. Putting it on paper is the only way to tell where a gun will shoot for you.

My coach told me 1 time absolutely not 1 more excuse better come out of my mouth till I shot my gun on paper 3 times.

After 3 shots on paper and adjusting my comb did the gun shoot where I wanted it to.

Jerry Lewis

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
In 1976 Browning came out with the BT-99 Competition with the higher rib, Monte-Carlo stock, and fatter forend compared to the beavertail BT-99s of the early 70's. American Shotgunner Magazine had a feature article that explained that the Competition model was designed to shoot 10 inches high at 40 yards. After 2 years Browning lowered the POI by popular request for the 'average' shooter. A friend of mine ran 300 straight in Singles and earned the 27 with his high shootin BT-99 even though some people said it shot too high.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Go to EBAY and search on BT-99. You may find an actual catalogue ad page for your model year BT-99. There is one on EBAY now for a *1979 ...and I quote the ad ... "at 40 yds the BT-99 is designed to impact 9", nominally, above the aiming point when using a stacked beads, figure 8 sight picture". The ad also says this is a "competition grade" gun and comes with a M/C stock and wider, competition-style forearm. I have a 1979 BT-99 ... but I have a conventional stock. So, maybe my gun isnt a competition grade. Mine shoots about 6-8" high at 36 yds with beads stacked.

* the EBAY lsiting describes the ad as 1979 .... but there is an insignia in the ad that describes the Browning "centennial" 1878-1978 .. so who knows. Maybe it is really a 1978 catalogue ad.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I've had a couple "RN's" myself. Ohh guns? My bad.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.