Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here remember how to run a dos computer?
I am working on replacing a computer that died that runs an old CNC machine. I have the manual and install floppy. (That’s right, I said floppy) hopefully it will have all the information I need but if I get in a bind I was hoping to find someone I could ask. Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I am working on replacing a computer that died that runs an old CNC machine. I have the manual and install floppy. (That’s right, I said floppy) hopefully it will have all the information I need but if I get in a bind I was hoping to find someone I could ask. Thanks Chris.
Does the new computer have a floppy drive ( the right size )? The install process is nearly seamless for the operating system.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
PS. You could just swap out the existing hard drive into the new machine. Unless it was a drive failure.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
PS. You could just swap out the existing hard drive into the new machine. Unless it was a drive failure.
Probably not, anything with a floppy drive is probably going to have a IDE interface, anything even relatively new is going to have a SATA interface.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
PM me if it turns into a mess, I may still have a laptop in the garage that will run a DOS interface.
3.5' floppy disk?

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
Probably not, anything with a floppy drive is probably going to have a IDE interface, anything even relatively new is going to have a SATA interface.
My old DOS machine had both. IDE and SATA. A full 5 gig hard drive. It was massive at the time.

Reactions: vatrap

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Dos, floppy, you have that new fangled stuff. The first CNC equipment I was trained on used perforated tape drives to install the program. Evidently spools had not been invented, the tapes were folded zig zag style and stored in a box. Paper tape with perforated holes, folded in a box and used in an environment that is drenched with cutting oil and metal chips....priceless.

Being a wise guy, but good luck on your project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get the hardware installed and loaded the software and was at least able to open it up. I can jog the x & y axis’. I haven’t figured out how to access the menu to enter the machine parameters yet.
the book says to try to start the machine in dos instead of windows. It is a windows 95 machine. I’m not sure how to go about doing that? It says not to use the ms dos button in the book?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was able to get the hardware installed and loaded the software and was at least able to open it up. I can jog the x & y axis’. I haven’t figured out how to access the menu to enter the machine parameters yet.
the book says to try to start the machine in dos instead of windows. It is a windows 95 machine. I’m not sure how to go about doing that? It says not to use the ms dos button in the book?
Reboot and when it says starting Windows hit F8. That will put you in DOS mode instead of WOW (Windows on Windows).

My Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Certification was on Windows Server 3.51. Insert bag over head image here...My Citrix Certs were on Winview which was OS2. Can I have another bag please?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jim. Good to know if the need arises. The machine was working last year. It sat unused and when I went to move it I powered it up to jog the table and the computer would not take keystrokes. I purchased another old computer and swapped the hardware and just got the software loaded last night. The manual suggests a few shortcuts or setup recommendations but I don’t know anything about DOS. I’ll start researching online tonight and see if I can figure out how to do everything suggested.
I think I’m 80% there now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was able to get all the machine parameters set tonight. Now I just need to find a G code file that ran on this machine before so I can set it all up and try it out. I know I have it on a disk somewhere but have not touched it in probably 15 years.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright. I’m having an issue I can’t figure out. The cursor is one space off from where a letter appears and same for deleting characters. Also all of the characters on the dos page. If it says C:\window95
It is on the screen with the C on the far right of the screen and the rest one line lower on the left of the screen.
it was not like this when I started usingthe computer. I have no idea what I couldof done to cause it. Any ideas????

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Alright. I’m having an issue I can’t figure out. The cursor is one space off from where a letter appears and same for deleting characters. Also all of the characters on the dos page. If it says C:\window95
It is on the screen with the C on the far right of the screen and the rest one line lower on the left of the screen.
it was not like this when I started usingthe computer. I have no idea what I couldof done to cause it. Any ideas????
I'm really stretching the way back machine, but I think you are in the Windows 95 directory.
The correct command would be cd\, can be upper or lower case.
It's the change directory command.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm really stretching the way back machine, but I think you are in the Windows 95 directory.
The correct command would be cd\, can be upper or lower case.
It's the change directory command.
It is that way when I’m in the C root directory as well. However I will try that when I get home tonight. Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts