Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Molon Labe
11,981 Posts
I had a dipstick kid working for me once that got nailed twice on the same Saturday for going 185 on his crotch rocket

He was a pretty good troop but just loved to go fast, told him he needed to get his pilot's license LOL

Reactions: llukesh

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I call BS on the 208 mph speed. I read the article myself before this was posted here. There is something wrong with that radar. I highly doubt that 2011 Mustang even highly modified would do the 208 mph speed nor could this driver handle it on normal highways. I call BS.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I have been 170mph on a Kawasaki 1400. They are electronically governed to stay below 186, but I ran out of room and courage at 170. 170 feels twice as fast as 140, the top speed of my 1000 Ninja. I cannot even imagine 200 plus. Clearly lack of wisdom and a whole bag full of good luck for that boy.

For comparison, our Piper Cherokee 140 cruised at about 110-120 mph, on a good day, with a tail wind. And there is not a lot to run into in the sky.

2016 - 2017 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang
Keep in mind that it says estimates, it would probably need 250 more hp to make 208. I have seen a highly modified Mustang engine make 800+ hp on a dyno. That car was set up for drag racing, not top speed.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
I used to spend a fair amount of time with a radar gun making checks on train speeds. I once clocked a haystack at 124 MPH.
I call BS on the 208 mph speed. I read the article myself before this was posted here. There is something wrong with that radar. I highly doubt that 2011 Mustang even highly modified would do the 208 mph speed nor could this driver handle it on normal highways. I call BS.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I had a 1975 911 that said 150 or 160mph on the dash (I can't recall which). I took many people up there, and everyone of them started whining at about 120mph to slow down. When you get up into the 150mph++ range the telephone poles do start looking like pickets fences. I do recall hitting about 190mph in a AC Cobra in the late 1960's. So, the driver said, I'd had a few or maybe more than a few. However, as much as I recall we were going real fast.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
There are Mustangs out n about running 1200 H.P. and are street driven, 208 isnt that hard to get to, not safe but possible,, Nascar runs around 200 on most tracks with 750 HP,, so thinks about it,,,, Don't think this guy will drive legally for awhile

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Back when that sweet old lady was still alive in Oklahoma I would of thought it was my mother-in-law running a bit late for church services.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I rode in an Opal in Germany one Sunday morning on the highway. It was a opal/lotus. 155 and scared $hitless

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
The body would have to be modified in order to keep it stable at that speed I would think, although it was probably lowered. Going that fast is scary, but the danger is more in what will slow you down to zero in a very short time if you happen to waver.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
There are Mustangs out n about running 1200 H.P. and are street driven, 208 isnt that hard to get to, not safe but possible,, Nascar runs around 200 on most tracks with 750 HP,, so thinks about it,,,, Don't think this guy will drive legally for awhile
Your comparing a Mustang to a Nascar. Not exactly the same aerodynamics there. Having lots of horsepower has very little to do with being able to hit a high speed and control it.

·
Banned
166 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. He's to young to have the skills to handle the car at those speeds and the car I will also question on it capability. NOW if it were a Ferrari, Maserati or Lamborghini I would say MAYBE he could.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
There is a group of guys here that take their cars out for a quick drive periodically.

We left Tampa and met a couple more in Naples and headed to Miami one Sunday morning.

There were 8 of us and we all crossed 200 with various breeds of iron horses

Took almost an entire tank of gas but we made it in time for breakfast.

·
Premium Member
8,006 Posts
I wonder what the fine will be? Here it goes by dollars to the mile I think it's 16 dollars a mile LOL better call daddy, as 208 in a 55 is 153 mph over and it looks like his checkbook will be a little short!
Aloha (wallet and freedom)

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Due to public endangerment and a host of other charges that might come into play, he might spend some time in the gray bar hotel. A good lawyer would probably get those charges dismissed but it's going to come with a steep price tag. He might be the wild child of some oil baron in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
He simply could not have been doing 208. I have driven at 130 mph many times. Even slight dips in the road surface can allow air to get under your car and push you up and over or at the least, cause your tires to break contact with the tarmac. Something is fishy here. Also, to get going much faster than 130 requires a huge increase in HP.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts