Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend gave me some. I load Rem gun clubs with fiocchi 209 primers and 7/8 Extra-Lite. other 1 oz wads work ,but these created a "volcano" look in the hull and the shot dumps out. Should I dump them?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
you may have to ether fill the ends with wax or cut them open and reclaim the components and if you decide to use the rest of the wads you will need
to ether buy or make filler wads. I use foam meat trays to punch out filler wads.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Try the DownRange Purple Duster or the Winchester AA12L. These are designed for the tapered wall hull and are for 7/8 oz loads. This should give you a perfect crimp. The Green Duster is for 1 oz. loads. FWIW. Bill

·
Registered
781 Posts
I load extra lite with 7/8oz shot, since I load for about 1200fps I can use the "suggested wad" but if I were loading for higher velocity (using more powder) I would have to use a shorter wad. Extra lite is a bulky powder, learn to adjust wads to make the stack height correct.
I love the powder, havent tried it with 1 oz loads yet, but with 7/8oz its a clear winner for me, (very clean burn) and economical.
So yes, try the 1oz wads, might just do the trick.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
For 7/8 oz. loads I use either the Purple Duster or the CB-0178 (grey wad).

I prefer to use 14.8 +/- grains of Alliant's Extra Lite powder, and my re-loader is a Ponness Warren 800+

Win. AA Shells
Federal 209A Primer
CB-0178
14.8 gr. of Alliant Extra Lite
#8 Lawrence Shot

Works great from the 16 yard line using my TM-1 with full choke. Barrel work was done by the late Mr. Seitz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.