Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working with our 10 year old for about a month, and through the help of the many on the forum step by step slowed him.

We are now at 16 yds, worked again Saturday to adjust the stock, and 1/8 foam on the comb area to help with potential bruising that he was experiencing(that is resolved).

From my previous posts, we had cross-eye dominance. The shooter insisted he did not need the left lens taped, and was shooting with both eyes open. I was skeptical, but gave his determination a try.

Saturday, we worked on tracking the bird and stance etc for 2 rounds

Sunday, he steps up to the line, shoots an 18, 22, 23...………...something clicked, I encouraged him, kept reinforcing positive, but not sure where to go from here, and have not located a coach in my area yet.

He wants to shoot the ATA 100 this weekend...…………….

Also, who makes smaller sized ear plugs, his keep popping out.....

·
Registered
873 Posts
We have that trouble with some of our kids too. Been using the orange foam plugs. I'm thinking of trying the silicone type with the ribbed design. Nice progress with your shooter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great job! If he hasn't been shooting over 100 during practice, he will be worn out by the last round and his scores will tumble. I've seen it way too many times. My son shoots 50 per week during the cold months and I wouldn't dream of letting him shoot a registered 100 right now. We normally shoot 125-150 twice a week for a month before we start ATA shoots.

Get him some custom molded ear plugs. They sell them for kids for $30 a pair.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
excellent, input, will check out the orange and the customs ( have not looked at them since kids keep growing)………..

He has shot 125 in some practices, I am trying to accommodate his drive with the ATA shoot, it was his request. I would prefer to practice and do a big 50 instead. If he is not sure he does not have to do the 100, no pressure from mom and dad with this one.

As far as how much he can shoot, 50 sat, 75 yesterday, 125 week before. I limit him sometimes to make sure it is productive and not just wasting ammo. I also worry about growing shoulders and faces.

Where do I take him from here???what should I focus on?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If he can shoot in the low 20s consistently, the rest is just more practice. Unless you see a tendency where he misses on a certain bird or struggles from a certain post. My son is bad about missing a slight left bird. He always shoots it like a straight away for some odd reason.

Guy who did our custom plugs said they last about 2 years. Said new ones should be made when they grow 2 shoe sizes. That's why they sell cheaper than adult plugs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he can shoot in the low 20s consistently, the rest is just more practice. Unless you see a tendency where he misses on a certain bird or struggles from a certain post. My son is bad about missing a slight left bird. He always shoots it like a straight away for some odd reason.

Guy who did our custom plugs said they last about 2 years. Said new ones should be made when they grow 2 shoe sizes. That's why they sell cheaper than adult plugs.
Great, I will watch and make sure he keeps his movement methodical and accentuate the positives...............I will check those custom ear plugs out this week.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a thought..... try cutting the foam orange plugs in half. That definitely makes them smaller!
Yep. Cut them in half or flatten them and cut off a third or whatever with a scissors. You may have to cut a few different ones and find a pair that feel good and stay in place.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can do, and will try. I also have ordered some Radians custom molded silicone type, I just don't want them coming out of his ears when the gun recoils, or when he snags the cord around his collar. It is worth to try a couple of approaches and see what works best

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I intend to, he is determined, typically walks up to the line with confidence and says "pull" with authority, I figured why not, let him have his first experience. He may be the only sub-junior there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just made two sets, if you divide them up, you can make two sets for small ears, worked out well, will have to test at the range.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Several of my youth shooters have ordered the decibullz brand and formed to fit the ear. They also come with multiple size inserts that fit into the ear canal. They are available on amazon for $25.99 pair. I have been using a set of these also for about 8 months and really like the fact that they are custom fit and stay put when formed right. Can be reformed also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, he shot his first ATA yesterday, 100 singles, and wanted to shoot handicap badly, so the organizer were terrific to register him in and allow him to shoot another 100.

The radians custom did not work out, the little guy complained they were not attenuating the sound enough, and we switched him to the plugs again for now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts