Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a 67 year old fart decided to join the ATA today, where and what is the procedure for shooting? What class/yardage do you start at. Being this late in the membership year, is it best to start with buying a two year membership or more?
I know, maybe dumb questions, but I need to know. My local club has a shoot this weekend!!

Thank You,

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
You will probably start on the 20 yd line for handicap & whatever class they want to start you in for singles & doubles. Purchase a membership to the ATA & your state organization & go have a ball.........nothing like registered shooting.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of shooters eager to help you.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I would just wait until September to join. I would just shoot practice till then. The dues are not pro-rated.

I actually did that when I first started on the advice of one of the long time members of the club.

If the shoot this weekend is a big one for the club, ie trophies, money and/or options then you will most likely be placed in penalty class and yardage. It should be documented in the shoot program in the flier or bulletin posted at the club. If this shoot is just a "registered" shoot with no trophies; little or no money and/or options, I would wait until September to join the ATA.

Jason

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yes you would start on the 20 yard line. You also have the option to shoot in the veteran category. Your singles score will probably start off by your known ability.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Just wait until the new shooting year starts 9/1/15. You will start on the 20yd line and be a "B" shooter on the 16 and doubles if you shoot them. You will also be classed as a Vet. (65-70 years old).

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Join and shoot this weekend. If the $20 membership fee for the last two months of the target year is an issue then you might be considering the wrong hobby.

Enjoy your weekend.
You nailed it Tom.
Shoot all the singles you can before you jump into caps.
Bill

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
All adult males start on the 20 yard line, however many some enforce "penalty" yardage for shooters who do not have a certain number of handicap targets so check the programs of different clubs. In singles ,most clubs I have seen place a new shooter in at least "B" class on singles. There is no discount for joining late in the year which runs Sept. 1st to Aug. 31 each year. I wouldn't worry about if I were you and just wanted to get in targets. I would contact the ATA and request a current rule book. Until then you can review the ATA rules on line.The rules have changed in some areas lately and you might get some misinformation from some people. One other note. You will be shooting as a "Veteran" trapshooter. It is a Category you may declare but, are not required to. It may effect your ability to fall back into class in some cases but, you need to be aware of how it works. The rule book explains all that. Welcome and shoot well!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The $ 20 is not an issue, how many ATA birds per year do I need to be shooting to stay active? I now shoot several thousand in practice.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
No number requirement......it sounds like you already do a lot of shooting. I agree with joining the ATA right now & start to enjoy the experience!

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I had to start at the 24 yd. line for penalty, with no qualifying birds.

Are you shooting North Bristol? Join now, and then shoot the State Shoot in two weeks also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stl Flyn, North Bristol is my home club currently, but I want to branch out and shoot other places more often. I won't be shooting the state this year as I have a heart procedure on the 10th, and they are not sure how invasive it will be yet.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
Terry you can look at the Wisconsin State shoot program at.

http://www.witrapshooters.com/archives/docs/shoots/2015/2015StateShootProgram.pdf

Page 4 has the target totals required to shoot without penalty. Most clubs or state shoots have a targets only clause that allows the shooter to shoot his own class and yardage without being eligible for awards. I don't know about Wisconsin as I didn't see it in the program.

You said you have a heart procedure on the 10th and they don't know how invasive it will be. Well the state shoot runs from the 14th thru the 19th. So it it isn't to bad you might get a chance to see about an event or two. At any rate on the other shoots in your association just shoot and have a great time. Good Luck

Bob Lawless

·
Registered
899 Posts
Terry, Good luck with your procedure. Hope its goes well. You will find that most shoots in WI won't have penalty yardage. The State shoot is the main exception. There may be others, but few and far between.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Terry good for you and welcome to getting started shooting registered ATA trap :) Here are a some ideas to look at that might help. 1. Take your ave card and keep your ATA and State assoc. info in a wallet in your shooting bag that you will take with you when you shoot that way you always have. 2. When you do shoot registered target write down your scores on the ave card when you are done as this will help you keep track of target totals and ave. and help the people at the handicap table get you in the right classes each time with out and guestimates ect. 3. When you shoot registered and you get your sign up sheet completed next to each event listed on your sheet write which post and trap you will start on as that will help you get to the right place at the right time. Just ask shoot management where you can get the trap info as it is usually posted at larger shoots and smaller shoots shoot management can get you started. You will make some new friends and have a good time so go a step at a time and have fun. Shoot Well George

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
Soon, you will get your ATA scorecard and ATA plastic card with a rulebook. Before that follow what others have said and open the Official ATA Rulebook found at our website ... shootata.com.

Welcome to the world of trapshooting competition.
Barry Roach
ATA Promotions Field Coordinator

1 - 20 of 37 Posts