Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having some issues with discoloration on the front end of the comb from the oils in my face on my Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon. What would you folks do to revive this? This is an oil finish only.

If I can fix this issue I’ll have to stay on top of it every few weeks so it doesn’t happen again. Thanks,
Tin Wood Material property Musical instrument Rectangle

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Move on from the factory finish. Be happy. Refinish it with a 2-part or catalyzed finish. Mohawk pre-cat lacquer in a rattle can is marvelous for a DIYer.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I use Howard's Feed n Wax from Home Depot on my DT-11 furniture. Usually about once a month or more if I sweat a lot on it or it rains while shooting, still looks great after 6 1/2 years

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Try a product called Howard's Restore-A-Finish in light walnut tint. After that apply several coats of Renaissance Wax.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It should take of it. It's a wipe on and buff type of finish. It's not really a stain, but it should help that faded spot. I have an oil finished 687 and I've used it for touch ups. Howard's recommends using their Feed n Wax product after. I've used that with good results, too.
One caveat...restore a finish is not a refinishing product, just good for touch ups.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Never use bug spray on your face or hands,..it'll eat away an oil finish in no time.
You may want to try beeswax every few months to protect the finish.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I use Howard's Feed n Wax from Home Depot on my DT-11 furniture. Usually about once a month or more if I sweat a lot on it or it rains while shooting, still looks great after 6 1/2 years
Out of curiosity are you just applying it over itself about every month. Just curious if it gets gummy and you have to strip it off from time to time?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Out of curiosity are you just applying it over itself about every month. Just curious if it gets gummy and you have to strip it off from time to time?
I buff it down with a clean old T shirt and apply over existing finish. The salt from sweat has to be rubbed to make it go away. Then I let it set until I clean my barrels, and buff it off and put away in case. I have had the same bottle for about 6 1/2 years, a little goes a long way. Someone scratched my comb wood, so I sanded the marks out and when I was happy, I put a couple coats on and buffed and it looks like new. Does not get gummy or transfer to you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I buff it down with a clean old T shirt and apply over existing finish. The salt from sweat has to be rubbed to make it go away. Then I let it set until I clean my barrels, and buff it off and put away in case. I have had the same bottle for about 6 1/2 years, a little goes a long way. Someone scratched my comb wood, so I sanded the marks out and when I was happy, I put a couple coats on and buffed and it looks like new. Does not get gummy or transfer to you.
Thanks for reply, I like your style...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The worst finish I have seen on a competition stock. A Tri-Star has a better finish.

Remove it and start over. If salt and your whiskers will remove it, I would not even trust it for a base.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Caesar Guerini has the same issue. I just got mine back from having the stock refinished with a catalyzed conversion varnish. Having no experience with this finish and not much info about it on line, I guess time will tell.
Has anyone info about this conversion varnish finish?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Purchased some Howard’s Feed and Wax the other day and it worked very nicely. I did however clean it well with Murphy’s Oil Soap first. You can still see some of the fade spot but it’s not near as bad. Thanks again.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Purchased some Howard’s Feed and Wax the other day and it worked very nicely. I did however clean it well with Murphy’s Oil Soap first. You can still see some of the fade spot but it’s not near as bad. Thanks again.
I think Griz works for Howard’s... he somehow convinced me to do the same.. The directions say you can use multiple coats.. on the second coat I went a bit liberal with the application and let it set overnight before buffing it off.. It looks pretty good to me.. not bad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts