Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emerson passed away Sunday, he was 95. A long time Ohio shooter and member of Ohio Hall of Fame. Well known for his release triggers. Info at Gilbert- Fellers Funeral Home in Brookville Ohio

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank You PJ for posting.No more card playing at WPAFB. He and his wife shooting shooting base program H.C. Three wheeler seat and piped up to oxygen.Keeping a close eye on every shot of hers. Emerson smiling ready to encourage,after she beats herself up a little bit.Going to miss him.
Got to go back say 30 years ago. Middletown just started sporting clays course standing by the pop machine stood tall, slinking, old man, work coveralls, pockets sticking out like chipmonk cheeks. Box and a half had to be in each.Old shell chucker at his side.Trapper introduced us and I am so glad he did not offer a little wager.That MAN WAS A HELL OF A SHOOTER. The love of guns(best release he designed and build very proud of).Clays come from the ground and to the ground they shall return. Emerson had complete trap and skeet field west of his home. East down the crick was long range bench shooting.The red hat Pyrmont annual shoot he said was just to messy to pick up. Had it all tore out. It served him so well "I can close my eyes hear the machine and bust them birds, keeping my eyes closed" Skeet is boring. May he rest in peace listening for the trap busting them birds with a shell chucker after closeing his eyes for the last time. God bless you Hoblit,Paula your both in my prayers... Marty

·
Registered
578 Posts
Emerson was a grand fellow, he worked on my super x 1 for me and was a great trigger man. I have his obituary and I'll have Ann post it on here for me sometime today. I'll miss talking the old times with him.

Our prayers are with you Paula, I treasure the 20 ga conversion that you and Emerson brought up to the hunt club a few years back that he had made and gave to me. One of the nicest presents I ever received. Brad

·
Registered
578 Posts
HOBLIT, Emerson G. “Hob” “Jerry”
Age 95, of Perry Township, Ohio, passed away Dec. 1, 2013. Emerson was preceded in death by his parents, Forest and Alma (Bowser) Hoblit; sister, Phyllis Jansyn; first wife, Peggy (Campbell); grandparents, George and Catharine (Hoops) Bowser and William and Florence (Coate) Hoblit. Graduate of Fairview High School, Dayton, Ohio. He was owner of Hoblit Machine Company, a Marine Corps veteran of WWII, a Mason of the Brookville Lodge for over 60 years and served on the Montgomery Soil and Water Conservation Board. He was a lifetime member of the following: NRA since 1947, Amateur Trapshooting Association, Ohio State Trapshooting Association, National Skeet Shooting Association, National Defense Industrial Association and the American Forestry Association. He received the 1980 Governor’s Arbor Day Award, FFA Honorary Chapter Farmer, Wildlife Conservation Award. He was inducted into the Ohio State Trapshooting Hall of Fame in 2010, and was the developer of the “Hoblit Release” trigger. His hobbies included genealogy research, hunting and woodworking. He was a driven man with an extreme determination to succeed. Survived by wife Paula (Warner); nephew, Ben (Mary) Jansyn, NJ; nieces, Diana (Tron) Evensen, Norway, Kathy Thaw, NY, Ruth (Patrick) Henning, MA, great-nieces and nephews; great-great-niece and nephew; cousins and many special friends. Funeral service will be held 10:30 AM Friday, Dec. 6, at the GILBERT-FELLERS FUNERAL HOME, 950 ALBERT RD., BROOKVILLE. Visitation Thurs., Dec. 5, 4-7 PM at the funeral home. Interment in Pyrmont Cemetery to follow the service. If desired, donations may be sent to Hospice of Dayton or the Ohio State Trapshooting Association. If desired, e-mail condolences may be sent by going online to www.gilbert-fellers.com

Charitable donations may be made in Emerson's memory to the following organizations:

Hospice of Dayton
324 Wilmington Ave., Dayton, OH 45420

Ohio State Trapshooting Association
http://www.ohiotrap.com/About%20the%20Foundation.html
PO Box 956, Ravenna, OH 44266

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Brad. Thank you for placing Mr. Hoblit's photo and obit here. After seeing his picture I now know that I've seen him in the distant past. Merry Christmas, all!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Mr. Hoblit was my "neighbor" a few houses down when I was growing up (or should I say, a few muskrat holes down Tom's Run creek). I still remember the pop-pop-popping sound of his fall shoot down at the trap/skeet range behind his house. The person who mentioned his cleaning up the trap field wasn't kidding. I remember when a high school friend went down there and asked if we could bring our own targets and pay him a little something to shoot them out of his machines...he said something to the effect of, shoot all you want as long as you pick up the broken target pieces (!). At a time when I owned 3 Super-X trap guns, one of them had "the release" and I recall thinking he must have been quite the mechanical genius. It's amazing that to this day I still see those triggers being bought, sold, and traded back and forth like Mickey Mantle baseball cards, all from a guy who lived down the road.

He remained a competitive shooter to a very ripe age, and although I'm no longer dropping any lead in or around Tom's Run, I'm sure the folks there will miss him.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Brad, thanks so much for your posting about this wonderful, very talented man.

Emerson helped me so much with my Super-X. When I started shooting a Super-X in 1983, it had a Hobblit release in it that someone other than Emerson had butchered it badly. I finally found out who had made the trigger and sent it to him. He told me that whoever had worked on it he wouldn't let work on his lawnmower.

From that time on we became good friends, he was so happy to hear of my success with his triggers. I acquired about five Hobblit triggers as I thought I would need a backup. I was wrong they are bulletproof.

I used his trigger in England when I was on the team USA sporting. Never any problems. He was very happy when I would call and talk about my successes with his trigger. He was a very special man.

Back in 1999 I was a Vandalia for the Grand and met him for the first time. He and his wife Paula invided me over to their home to shoot some targets. He had all kinds of shotguns for his guests to try, many different makes, all with a release trigger he had made. We shot some long distance skeet targets for a while (he had both a trap and skeet fields at his home) and then he invited me into his garage, where myself and another fellow shot a target on the wall with a 22 rifle that had a release trigger in it !!!.

A few months later I received in the mail a calendar for the 2000 year that stated on the pages "Pyrmont G.C. world championship" on each page. Inside were pictures of various people that were at his home to shoot. I made the May picture with Paula, and the target we shot, and autographed, with the 22 rifle made the month of June. He also sent me a hat that I still have to this day. That calendar has been hanging on my office wall since that time.

What a wonderful man. I haven't talked to him in about a year, wished I had called more. Rest in peace old friend.

Tom Strunk
Payson, Arizona
(formally Orange, CA)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts