Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I’ve seen several posts about Federal paper and the smell. Is there a certain powder that produces the best aroma? I have many but have not yet loaded and may be a winter project to load up some papers.
Red Dot.

· Registered
729 Posts
I’ve seen several posts about Federal paper and the smell. Is there a certain powder that produces the best aroma? I have many but have not yet loaded and may be a winter project to load up some papers.
I have the good fortune to get access to Federal paper once fired hulls. I’ve reloaded them with several powders over the years. I think it’s not the powder that produces the smell so much as the treatment of the hull as it is processed. My understanding is there is a wax coating that helps preserve the hull’s integrity and I’m guessing that the bulk of the smell comes from that. Paper hulls and plastic hulls loaded with the same powder do have a different smell.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
My first introduction to the great burnt paperhull smell was Remington- Peter's paper duck load 5s with a fuel oil heater in a duck blind. Then later on same shells with 2s in a goose pit down by Crab Orchard Lake in the great lead days of waterfowl hunting here in So. Il.

· Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I have the good fortune to get access to Federal paper once fired hulls. I’ve reloaded them with several powders over the years. I think it’s not the powder that produces the smell so much as the treatment of the hull as it is processed. My understanding is there is a wax coating that helps preserve the hull’s integrity and I’m guessing that the bulk of the smell comes from that. Paper hulls and plastic hulls loaded with the same powder do have a different smell.
I’m guessing there’s a wax treatment within the hull that contributes to the smell. Looking at once fired hulls there’s an obvious white coating inside. Of course the distinct aroma can only be activated by Red Dot powder. Wed. night I was dropping my extracted hulls into my shell bag with the smoke still rising. I mused to myself, imagine if they caught fire?
laughed to myself & dropped the next bird.
I do love shooting, every aspect of it. Throw in a cigar for good measure.

· Registered
7,103 Posts
I noticed that my Federal Paper hulls still smelled kinda like the factory load, even though I used clays powder. I think there is something to the aroma coming from the paper hull and not just the powder.

· Registered
1,323 Posts
I still have several flats of the older Federal Papers. I will shoot four boxes at the Grand this year in Saturdays Championship Handicap as I do most years. Not because they help my poor shooting but they just make me happy!!! The smell alone is enough to make an old man smile and remember much better days gone by.............And for me............I can't bank on tomorrow. Shoot em' if you got em'..................

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.