Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word on the streets today is our own beloved Randy Shirk from PA turned his K-80 into unrecognizable pieces yesterday. Thankfully no one was hurt except perhaps his ego. Further information is not available including photos but are likely later. Reloads with 19.5 grs. of Promo and 1 1/8oz. shot are his favorite load. Not a nice Christmas present!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
When reading the threads about K 80 blowups in the past I have wondered about one thing. Are the guns of a certain vintage or have they been spread out through all years of manufacture?
Bud

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
REDDBUD: I would like to know that also, I have noticed it has been on serial #s after year code 2000, It would be nice if owners stated the first section of their guns serial number, not the whole ser#.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just info.

On my cheap chrono this load with a AA case 17.7 grains of Promo. WT 12 orange wad, Win primer and 1 1/8 oz of shot went:

1225, 1234,1256,1256.1237,1220 and 1228.

I have all my loads with it wrote down in a log book. I just did some samples to see what I wanted to make so we made about 6 of each. I am not sure about what info we had but started with a lower load at 17 grains and it was 1186, 1158, 1153 1167 1175 1153.

I wanted to shoot some handicap loads and went up a bit to 17.5 grains 1170, 1216, 1211,1195,1223 and 1199.

I had no interest in it as a handicap load the 17.7 reached an average of 1237 which on a cheap chrono that should read about 30 feet faster than what it was, it should have been fine.

It was ok. in fps. but I was used to the recoil of Greendot and Unique. I thought promo was too hot, it kicked way too much. I used it up on 1 oz loads at about 16.5 grains and never bought it again.

Terry.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
So, what you are saying Terry, it may have been a bit outside the good pressures? LOL

Rick in MT

I think I will keep shooting my K gun.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have yet to here of a k80 blowing up on a spoting clays course .i am a life member of the nsca since 92. wonder why it always seems to be trap shooters. i owen a k80 & blowing it up is the least of my worries

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Here is a question for you all.......

If what the poster above says is true then how many of the K-80's that have blown up were equipped with single barrels compared to one equipped with double barrels?

Would that be an equation in the problem?

·
Supporting Vendor
9,967 Posts
It's always Trap shooters who are trying to get that extra ummmphhh to their advantage, loading long yardage loads with powder that's designed for a .410. Metal fatigue is irreversible and in a matter of time, Kaaaaboooooom!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stickdp, We had a K-80 blowup at Ommelanden Range in Del. on the sporting clays course about 15 years ago. All I know is that the shooter had his wife reloading for him. I saw the remaining pieces of the top latch, which fractured into about 6 pieces. So don't think that sporting types are immune. Randy

1 - 20 of 99 Posts