Trapshooters Forum banner

Oh No, Not Another Pierced Primer Thread!

1814 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  blackandgold
Met a local fellow shooter on Craigslist and purchased 1K OF AAHS hulls. Fair deal and a good person. We exchanged info and he wants me to join him on a couple of SC shoots. We'll see.....

I was plowing through the hulls and looking for any issues and found around 100 pierced. I've read all the negative stuff about Cheddites, but little if any regarding Winchester. So I was surprised to find so many.

I learned that this gentleman had shot a tournament with his daughter who lived near the event and what I had was spent through two guns. I sent him the image and he seemed concerned, but glad to know. I don't know what he or his daughter shoots, but the strikes all seem really hard and the pin dimples are all quite deep on the pierced primers.

Nasty stuff:

For discussion. Maybe I can sell them on eBay. :rolleyes:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you want to sell the hulls?
There is nothing wrong with them.
Any gun can pierce a primer if the firing pins are to long.
Pierced primers doesn't harm the hull, only the gun.
I wouldn't sell the hulls. The primers might bring some retirement money considering the stupidity in the market right now (/extreme sarcasm tag). The hulls are mine!

· Premium Member
8,299 Posts
Met a local fellow shooter on Craigslist and purchased 1K OF AAHS hulls. Fair deal and a good person. We exchanged info and he wants me to join him on a couple of SC shoots. We'll see.....

I was plowing through the hulls and looking for any issues and found around 100 pierced. I've read all the negative stuff about Cheddites, but little if any regarding Winchester. So I was surprised to find so many.

I learned that this gentleman had shot a tournament with his daughter who lived near the event and what I had was spent through two guns. I sent him the image and he seemed concerned, but glad to know. I don't know what he or his daughter shoots, but the strikes all seem really hard and the pin dimples are all quite deep on the pierced primers.

Nasty stuff:
View attachment 1749996

Gun/firing pin, not the primer.

· Registered
715 Posts
My Win 96 lower barrel pierces a few every now and then. It is the angle of the firing pin. No problem with the hull. I have an extra pin for my 96, but after 140K rounds...it hasn't needed it.

Good luck and all the best.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts

Nasty stuff:
View attachment 1749996

Some people buy and install “extra long” firing pins because of “light strikes”. They clean the pin bores and remove broken pieces of rebound spring when replacing the pins and “Bob’s your uncle!” pierced primers from too long pins and or extra strong hammer springs.

You see the pins and springs advertised regularly.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Thanks! I don’t know what I’d do without you guys. Maybe go into the shotshell Christmas lights business. Or something. But reloading and shooting them is a swell idea.
Take your time and think about it. Don't make any rash decisions.

Speaking of Christmas shopping, my fiancee sent me Remington shells on sale for $20 a box...down from $35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.