Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the independent Trap & Field magazine play an active role in promoting trapshooting? I'd like to hear your ideas.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
TRAPSHOTINGUSA is a trap only magazine that does an excellent job just a little different twist than Trap & Field, I prefer both and buy both. Scott

·
5,232 Posts
Barry,

I think from certain aspects, it already does, by offering points of view from its contributing writers, editor and advertisers. However, any "official" publication should be the soapbox of the governing organization, yet from my limited readership experience with Trap & Field, one lacking (or my perception thereof) aspect is any "voice" of the ATA... and minutes of meetings don't count.

I subscribed to T&F once. I gave it a try as an ATA member, but the subscription may have lasted one subscription season. (my limited readership of T&F should not be construed as an indictment of the publication itself).

As one who primarily shoots "recreational" American Trap and only registers a limited number of targets each target year, I do not stay engaged by pages of technical data (scores and ancillary articles devoted to bringing my trapshooting to the "next level"... as I have no desire to take my trapshooting to another competitive level.

If we're talking about bringing NEW folks into American Trap, and using T&F as a conduit to engage and retain novice "trapshooters" in an attempt to ultimately convert them into "registered" ATA shooters - the content has to offer them something.

Would T&F alienate too large a segment of its present readership by "dumbing down" the publication to include articles on basic equipment, etiquette and educational articles for newbies... how about adding discussions on league shooting to register targets, game shooting using the American Trap platform and how American Trap may differ across regions of the US and offer comparisons with its European, Asian and Aussie counterparts?!

Articles on registering your first targets... would die-hard registrants find that content too remedial and abandon the publication - Should T&F have a "Highlights" version for novice shooters...?!

It's a contemporary story with T&F following the ATA down a similar business path... been around since 1890 (Sportsmen's Review) and acts like it... If T&F wants to remain viable and relevant, in my opinion, it will need to broaden its appeal...

Where's the "Field" in Trap & Field?

Respectfully offering,

Jay

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the kind of "voice" we should be looking for, Jay. We have to be careful not to be unkind to the good folks at the T&F though ... They are just doing what's been done since as long as I have been shooting. As far as being a reactive reporter of our sports activities and shoots they do a nice job.

The disconnect between the ATA and it's official publication, as it relates to the promotion of trapsooting, is the rub. After all, if doubling our membership ranks is a reasonable goal, wouldn't doubling Trap & Field's be doubling their subscriptions, as well ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts